Unable to access paypal account due to phone number being wrong

HelpImLostInMal
New Community Member

I am unable to currently log into my paypal account as it's asking to text a message to a number I've never seen before in my life, I never ever put my number into it (I think, I don't really remember). Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just gone?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HelpImLostInMal 

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HelpImLostInMal 

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Digimortal
Contributor
Contributor

How can you log in to call them if you can't access your account in the first place...?

The site requires you to log in BEFORE you can get help for your account that you can't log in to in the first place, WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THIS?!.

Login to Me Too

kolf
New Community Member

Exactly!
Every contact channel requires log-in, but you cannot log in because of non-available phone number! Dead loop.

There is no e-mail, phone number or any other available way to contact Paypal about the issue. Sent message from Facebook, but meet friendly chat robot, what sent me to heplful link, which REQUIRED A PHONE VERIFICATION! Thanks for nothing.
No real answer from Facebook also.

Crazy situation. 
Recommend Paypal service to anybody? NO!

Login to Me Too

3lio
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has put so many of their customers in this terrible situation. I'm so angry! For years I've been using my account with a user name and password, and suddenly I completely lost access due to PayPal having a wrong/old phone number.

I managed to talk to customer service via chat in the following way:

1. Go to https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us

2. Click "Password and account access."

3. Click "Login problems".

4. Scroll down to "Message us" and click it.

5. Click "Chat with us while logged out".

They told me that there's no way for me to enter a new phone number, or to regain access. I'll have to open a new account with a different email and phone number.

They also said that I'll be able to transfer the money from my old account to the new one in the following way. This is absurd - if these steps are enough to confirm my identity, then why don't they offer this as a way to regain access to my own account!? Please, if anyone at PayPal is reading this, do something about this situation. Seeing in the support forums how the same issue has existed for some years, I doubt anything will be done about it. Seriously, after this, I will be recommending people to stay away from PayPal since they cannot be trusted with your money.

Anyway..

Once you create your new account then please follow the steps below:

In order to transfer your money we will need an authorisation email confirming you want transferred to the new email address. Please send this to <removed>  ---> NOTE: I suppose a different email is necessary for those in other regions

We also request you to upload a copy of your proof of identity and proof of address.

We can accept any one of the following as a valid proof of identity:

• A copy of your ID card
• Your driver’s license (photo counterpart)
• Passport
• Other photo ID that was issued by a government body

Only one of the following documents will be accepted as a valid proof of address:

• Utility bill e.g Gas, Electricity, Water
• Landline telephone bill
• Council tax bill
• Bank Statement
• Credit Card statement
• O. Box
• Mobile Phone bill
• Printed payslip

Here's how to upload the files:

To upload the information just copy the following link into your web browser and follow the instructions:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_file-upload-or-fax-outside-resolution-centre&file_upload_for...

You can attach multiple files, up to a total file size of 9,900 kb, using these file formats: gif, jpg, pdf, or png.
Once you successfully upload the documents the balance transfer will take between 4-7 days.

Login to Me Too

scotty45
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

There is no "Message us" at the bottom of the log in page, just an "ask the community".

I am in a similar position. I have an old fashioned home phone which PP called me for 13 years on. Suddenly PP cannot reach me on the same phone when they have to do the security verification call.

My old phone does not accept data so a SMS or text cannot arrive either.

PP tell you to change tour phone number in settings, but that involves as security verification call back to the same original number, which no longer works, so progress cannot be made.

I have been with ebay and PP since almost the start but find their lack of investment and cost cutting in staffing is simply making it impossible to do business with them. I nearly lost a sizeable business deal for me through not being able to access my PP account and have now tried for 2 months to get it sorted without having been able to speak to a human who understand the difficulties encountered.

The understanding is not there and PP seem to want to become completely unreachable unless via an automated machine. AI cannot deal with non standard issues, so humans and small businesses suffer as PP are not investing there.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@scotty45 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

scotty45
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your input. I managed to speak to a human at PP for the first time in 6 weeks. 15 Feb 21.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.