Two people have my email address on their account!

TimWilson
Contributor
Contributor

Of course, HE may say that two people have HIS account, but this is what has happened.

I have not used PayPal in a while, but I was still a little surprised that my password manager had the wrong password saved. No problem, reset password using my email....but I did notice out of the corner of my eye that the phone number was wrong. I think to myself, I'll deal with that later. First, let me finish the transaction.

So I finish the transaction, which doesn't ask for my credit card or anything like that, because it's all saved, right? When I go to change my phone number, though, I realize -- the address associated with the account is another guy with my name, but 5000 miles away! And I just charged something to his credit card without meaning to!!!!

I reported this immediately to the seller and to PayPal, but everything is automated, and telling me that they'll get back to me in 10 days or whatever. No! I need this fixed now! And of course I can't email the other person to tell them that this isn't fraud, just an accident, because the only email address I have is my own! And of course, I can't see his phone number or message him any other way.

I took my best guess to find him on LinkedIn and sent a message there, but I don't know how to fix this. All I REALLY want to do is get in touch with the other guy with my name, apologize for not noticing that our wires were crossed, and I'll be happy to create a new account with a different email address. He can keep the other one....but PayPal isn't answering the phone, and the one other person in the archives that posted this problem had a PayPal employee reply that this can't possibly happen - but it did! Just now!!!

Anybody have ANY suggestions for me?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.