Trying to close my deceased son's account

LesleyK
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have been trying for the last 10 days to close my son's PayPal account because he has passed away.

I spoke with customer service who told me to email scans of the death certificate, a covering letter that I am next of kin, and photo ID for myself to a specific email address which I did. I then got an email reply asking me to send documentation to them. This confused me because I had already sent it. So I replied again, also attaching the paperwork for a second time, and I got the same email asking for documentation. So I called customer service again, and they told me they had received the paperwork, and would pass me through to the correct department. I was on hold for an hour, so I hung up. I then sent an email saying how upset I was that I was on hold for an hour, and I got a reply asking me to fill in an indemnity form. So I did that, and sent it back. The next reply I got was asking me for the documentation again.

I am really upset now, and I feel like I am going round in circles and no one will help me.

Any suggestions?

L

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

JaneAFerguson
New Community Member

Did you finally get this resolved? I am having the same issues!

@LesleyK wrote:

Hello,

I have been trying for the last 10 days to close my son's PayPal account because he has passed away.

I spoke with customer service who told me to email scans of the death certificate, a covering letter that I am next of kin, and photo ID for myself to a specific email address which I did. I then got an email reply asking me to send documentation to them. This confused me because I had already sent it. So I replied again, also attaching the paperwork for a second time, and I got the same email asking for documentation. So I called customer service again, and they told me they had received the paperwork, and would pass me through to the correct department. I was on hold for an hour, so I hung up. I then sent an email saying how upset I was that I was on hold for an hour, and I got a reply asking me to fill in an indemnity form. So I did that, and sent it back. The next reply I got was asking me for the documentation again.

I am really upset now, and I feel like I am going round in circles and no one will help me.

Any suggestions?

L

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JaneAFerguson

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-close-a-deceased-customer's-paypal-account-faq1...

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Nfrush
New Community Member

I am having the same issue. I sent all the proper documentation into the ICA in September of 2020 and have not heard a word from Paypal. My daughter was never married and not sure how to get ahold of a person at this company. Very discouraged. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.