“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

I’m trying to link a bank account to my PayPal. I had to update my phone number (totally forgot and it was an old number that’s no longer in service). The new phone number I updated it to doesn’t show up when it gets to the part where it asks you to confirm your phone number, however it gives an option to add a number. I’ve tried multiple numbers but it gives me the same error every time “this type of phone number isn’t supported.” I’ve tried searching but I can’t find anyone besides one person who had the same error. It’s a real/normal phone number so I’m not sure what the issue is. I assume it has something to do with me just updating my number, however I’m not sure why it gives an option to add a new number to confirm my identity if it doesn’t work. 

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

Liv0712
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue. I changed my phone number almost 6 months ago, but I was able to update that just fine. I don't know why it's still asking me to add my phone number to verify a new bank account but it's unbelievably frustrating and nothing is working. I don't even have a card to add because it's a savings account. So I'll have to transfer to a different card ( and pay the instant fee because PayPal doesn't support sending to my bank) and then transfer to my other savings. This is ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

ophiefae

Also having this issue. The fact that it's been a problem for about a year and they've done absolutely nothing about it is actually ridiculous. Hello??? At this point I just want to delete my account because I'm tired of this.. but I can't, because it won't let me log in (': "verify your identity" but none of my phone numbers are listed, add phone number, not supported. I legitimately can't even log in.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DerrickD

Hi @ophiefae,

I'm sorry to hear that you've continually had issues logging in to your account. I do know how frustrating it can be. In order to regain access to your account, I recommend reaching out to Customer support for assistance. If needed, Customer Support can be reached by clicking Contact and then Call Us at the bottom of the PayPal website. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message.

-Derrick

Login to Me Too

UmExcuseMe
I’m having this same issue, as is my boyfriend. I called customer support this morning and the girl I talked to said it was a system issue that EVERYONE is having TODAY- she certainly did not tell me that it’s an ongoing issue that your scammy service has been having for over a year and refuses to fix. I was able to change my number today but now I can’t transfer money bc it keeps telling me that my phone number isn’t supported- and believe me, I tried multiple phone numbers. None are “supported”. One thing I noticed is that a lot of the users in this forum are reporting that they have T-Mobile service- that’s called a “Clue”- so, maybe your tech support can start there. But I doubt you will, bc it’s clear that no one cares.
Login to Me Too

aznervedoc
Contributor
Contributor
Derrick, I'm having the same issue. I see PP has my landline # that was disconnected in 2015. Cool. But my cell is not valid. ID verify options are to receive a text or a call. So???? And. If I mark my account to have PP call me. No dice. I have fraudulent transactions on my account so thus won't wait. PP will be reimbursing me for sure. I'm glad to send you my cell # if necessary. Please help. William
Login to Me Too

Kawaiidot
We shouldn't have to keep recontacting customer service. We shouldn't have to have this issue in the first place. Many of us are suffering, my business included. My orders are backednup by a whole month because of this. I have noticed this happens REGULARLY but has NOTHING been done for a YEAR or more? Why is it so complicated to remove an unnecessary block that prevents people from getting their money? Why is it so hard to fix something your CUSTOMERS are having, but its cool as long as its not a mass majority. So you don't ACTUALLY have to fix it. I will be moving my business off this app. This is the worst experience I have ever had. And I've had this account since 2019, scared of **bleep** the account off, BECAUSE THE CUSTOMERS WHO OWN THEM, DONT ACTUALLY OWN THEM, and we get locked out/or this situation or lose our account because **bleep** isn't getting resolved.
Login to Me Too

philadamslips
Customer service doesn't do a damn thing to help anyone with this problem. I've personally contacted them over 20 times and each one was incompetent and sounded like an out sourced call center in India that doesn't even know what a PayPal is.. get it together PayPal. Pathetic
Login to Me Too

Zx14smith
Contributor
Contributor
Numerous calls to customer support. They give me the run around and could not fix the issue. Finally the representative blamed it on their security protocols. My advice is to find another provider; you will only become very frustrated and will still have the issue.
Login to Me Too

jinliming2
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem, I checked the HTTP response and it seems that it responded with an error called "newPhoneNAPFailure", any ideas?

Login to Me Too

Christopher345
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is actually now forcing me to give them a mobile number to send me a code to get into my account and then they don't accept my mobile number.  What kind of morons set this up???

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.