“This type of phone number isn’t supported”

aws3939
Contributor
Contributor

I’m trying to link a bank account to my PayPal. I had to update my phone number (totally forgot and it was an old number that’s no longer in service). The new phone number I updated it to doesn’t show up when it gets to the part where it asks you to confirm your phone number, however it gives an option to add a number. I’ve tried multiple numbers but it gives me the same error every time “this type of phone number isn’t supported.” I’ve tried searching but I can’t find anyone besides one person who had the same error. It’s a real/normal phone number so I’m not sure what the issue is. I assume it has something to do with me just updating my number, however I’m not sure why it gives an option to add a new number to confirm my identity if it doesn’t work. 

Login to Me Too
49 REPLIES 49

YESHUADONAI
New Community Member

This is a common issue with PayPal... customer support is not that good and besides I have had this issue months ago and the problem persists... Please DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! That is your JOB.

J.C

Login to Me Too

Plowboy1972
Yep, going through this now. Whats funny is in my profile within paypal i changed and verified my number with no problems, but go to link a bank and they dont even use the VERIFIED number they have on file. You have to add a number, makes no sense. Then you provide your phone number which is the same number that's already been verified in your profile by the way, and you click save and it says this type of number is not supported!?!?!! I'm not familiar with what types of phone numbers there are.... But... Its in the format of (xxx) xxx-xxxx. Its a cell phone number with tmobile service. This is honsstly ridiculous.
Login to Me Too

Plowboy1972
Oh and yes the phone is in my name, addresses match also, so yeah....
Login to Me Too

bruce50
New Community Member

I just created this account on my desktop and cant log in to my account. it keeps asking me to confirm and add a phone number and get the same results as the rest of . Funny thing is, i can log into my account on the mobile app. that has the same number im trying to add on the desktop version. As soon as i get the item i ordered pay pal will be deleted.

Login to Me Too

mehranattari
New Community Member

I've exactly the same issue. I have a verified phone number, and it's still showing me to add a number while linking a bank account. But when I add, it says that this type of number is not supported. It is so annoying.

Login to Me Too

Mchristine90
Contributor
Contributor
Ive never used paypal before and made an account to receive money and I'm paranoid im gonna have to wait the three weeks over this! I need to pay my car insurance!
Login to Me Too

BaronVonHoltz
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah... They don't care either. As evident in ALL of these posts. It's completely infuriating, uncalled for and uncaring of PayPal. I've never felt more insignificant than when trying to deal with PayPal.
Login to Me Too

JakeT1

Same problem exactly except I can't login or link my paypal its all messed up

Login to Me Too

kawkrai
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.  Called paypal over a month ago about it, the girl didnt know what was happening after several overrides attempted then suggested I call my provider (t-mo) in case my number had some sort of blocks on it.  I call t-mo and had them unblock everything, tried linking my account again and same issue.  Called paypal again and they suggest i wait 2-3 days and try again.  I waited one month, tried again and STILL THE SAME DARN “this type of phone number...”  message pops up.  So aggravating.

Login to Me Too

ConSeannery
New Community Member
I also have the problem, and also T-mobile. I don't think it's the phone service which is the issue. The problem is in the PayPal business logic and also, and I am just guessing here, within their corporate culture. They are hemorrhaging possible sales and customers, but apparently not in enough numbers to make a difference to them. If the problem has only occurred to a few hundred customers then it probably isn't worth their time fixing. But you would think given the size of their company, that it would scale much larger.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.