Strong Customer Authentication Problems

dickeburne
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked for SCA - Strong Customer Authentication before login.

I have several problems with that:

1. PayPal wants me to include a mobile number. I don't have a mobile. Even if I had, I can't use a mobile. I can't see the mobile's screen and my fingers are too clumsy to operate a mobile even if I could see it. So I added my landline.

2. PayPal would send me an SMS with a code number to enter within 15 minutes. Yes - an SMS can be sent to a landline but will be delivered as a voice SMS message. OK - but I have hearing problems. I can hear someone I know, who knows of my hearing problems and they will speak slowly and clearly, and repeat if I ask them to. I cannot hear or understand an automated voice on a voice SMS message.

3. Whatever the digits are - if I could hear them which I can't, they are about ten digits long. I have difficulty typing accurately on a full-size keyboard with enlarged text on the screen. In this short message, I have made about twenty keying errors that I have had to correct. The likelihood that I could type ten digits accurately is almost zero.

Are PayPal trying to make it impossible for disabled users to use PayPal? Or do they just not care?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Grubhead
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with the user. Though I am not disabled I don't use mobile phones. I suspect a lot of people don't use them too especially older people.

Also my country is no longer a member of the EU and since this is a directive from them. The UK people do not have to go along with it.

So Paypal you will have to come up with an exception for none EU countries. Or find a way around this piece of nonsense.

Login to Me Too

Beaver552
Contributor
Contributor
What to do if you have a landline phone? No SMS possible here.
Login to Me Too

Grubhead
Contributor
Contributor

Have had a message from Paypal.

If you don't have a mobile phone you can use an Authenticator App. 

They suggested the following site to use:

download link for app 

You select your operating system from the options and click download

The following instructions came from Paypal.

It will then ask you to enter in a phone number (this can be a landline number) and also enter in your email address, then click Next.
 Select your method to receive the code - if you have a landline select Phone Call.
 Enter the 6 digit code into the Authy app.

Once that is done you can now connect your PayPal account to the Authenticator App.

Click on the plus + symbol under Add Your First.
 Login to your PayPal account and select the 2 Step Authentication, and select Use an Authenticator App.
 Copy the 16 digit code under the QR code into the Authy App.
 Click Add Account.
 It will then ask you to enter a name for the account and to select a logo.
 Select the Token Lenght and click Save.

It will give you a 6 digit code, please note this code changes every 60 seconds. Put this code into your PayPal account.

When you log in next you have your Authy app open on your device and select PayPal.

As many banks are also asking for this two step method you can also add them to the app in the same way with the variations about the logins to them of course! It's also good for other sites such as Facebook etc. 

When I logged here to post this it asked for a code. I had to start the app and enter the number it generates. So from the odd time that was suggested it seems that I will have to do it everytime.

Login to Me Too

dickeburne
Contributor
Contributor

App?

I don't have a mobile that can use an app.

Login to Me Too

Grubhead
Contributor
Contributor

The app is just a program or software you can download for your computer. It will be installed onto your computer, so you don't need to have mobile phone.

The link will ask you which Operating System you are using before you can download the software.

I will say one thing it makes one click absolutely pointless! Since now you have to put a six figure randomly generated figure in every time you make a transaction.  Even to post here you have to put in the password and then start the app running and then enter the number in 30 seconds!

Plus tell the system I'm not an f***** robot

Login to Me Too

dickeburne
Contributor
Contributor

The link to symantec doesn't go where it is supposed to so I can't download anything. I still think PayPal's response is useless.

I have been using PayPal several times a week for years. Now it is an (expletive deleted) nuisance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.