Spoof emails and blocking accounts

7308cat
New Community Member

I've been a user of PP for decades  occasionally,  I will receive a spoof email searching for information. Over the past 4-5 months or so I've been receiving emails confirming purchases I have not made.  Sometimes they actually show up on my account and I have to dispute. Most times they do not so of course I send on to PP spoof and I'm done with it. Shortly after I receive a2nd email starting that there has been unusual activity on my account and my purchasing ability will be blocked and my account is temporarily limited because I've been using my account in a "questionable manner".  I never use the links in any of these emails but even use a different device to access my account and change passwords.  This is coming to the point where it is not convenient to have a PP account. Changing my password almost monthly is time time consuming and bothersome.  Is there another way to make this account more secure or should I go ahead and close it out. Just looking for suggestions. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @7308cat,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced spoof emails and unauthorized access.

Spoof emails are a regular part of having an email address. They can always be reported to spoof@paypal.com and deleted, and no links should ever be followed, as you've been careful not to do. Being conscious of how to spot those emails is important.

Unauthorized access, on the other hand, is definitely concerning. If you've seen unauthorized transactions on your account, then fraudsters are obtaining your password and logging in as if they were you. There are a few things you can do to protect yourself better, if you're not doing them already:

• Choose unique and strong passwords. Do not use the same password on PayPal that you use on any other site. If another site is compromised and the fraudster decides to try that password and email combination on PayPal or any other financial site, they would easily have access to your accounts.
  • Change your email account password to something very strong. If the fraudster has access to your email, they may be able to do password recovery on another account of yours.
  • Run a virus scan on your computer and any devices you use to access your PayPal account. Keyloggers and other malware can give a fraudster the ability to log in with your password.
  • Only use secure networks and computers and devices that are not shared with others.
  • Check your subscriptions and billing agreements to make sure that there are none that you do not wish to charge again, and make sure that any billing agreements with other sites are also carefully monitored. If a fraudster gains access to your account on the other site, they can charge through the established billing agreement.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.