Spam Mails

HRiethmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

I recently get spammed by a shop claiming it's TBDRESS and a From address of Tbdress (at) edm1.cardletter.com. The shop is using the e-mail address I've registered with my Paypal account and I am 100% certain that I only use it for Paypal. Now either

• Paypal has given this information away despite the fact that I voted not to in my profile
  • Paypal has been hacked

Even though I value my fellow community members, I would appreciate an official statement from Paypal, this seriously worries me!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Jown10
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @HRiethmann Thank you for communicating with us. If you think you’ve received a suspicious email or have been directed to a fake website, forward it to spoof@paypal.com and we’ll investigate it for you. After you send us the email, delete it from your inbox. If you clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious email or website, log into your account and view your transactions. It’s also a good idea to change your password. To view all your transactions and activity, log in to your PayPal account and check your recent activity. If you see any unauthorized transactions, go to the Resolution Center to report it. Hope this helps.
Login to Me Too

HRiethmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jown10

Thank you for your reply, however this does not answer my questions at all. Let me reiterate them here:

1. Does paypal give my e-mail to sellers or advertisers, in this case TBDRESS or newsletter.com even though my profile states that I don't want this?
  2. Can you explain how these guys got to an e-mail address I explicitly only use with my paypal profile?
Login to Me Too

HRiethmann
Contributor
Contributor

@paypall staff, anyone commenting on this or are you keeping your fingers crossed that the problem will silently disappear?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AngelaK

Hi @HRiethmann,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Because your email address is the identity of your PayPal account, yes, sellers have the ability to see that. Whenever you transact with PayPal, the other party will see your name or business name, your email address, and any provided shipping details. I hope this helps. 

-Angela

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.