Someone opened an unauthorized PayPal account with my email

danhera
Contributor
Contributor
Someone opened up a PayPal account with my email. Not sure why this was possible because it was not authorized by me with the email verification. PayPal customer service does not respond when I report it as fraud and no one answers the phone number. How can I close this on authorized account?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

TheRealMichelle
New Community Member
Same thing is happening to me, someone opened an unauthorized PayPal account with my email. I already have a Paypal account with the same email (my email address has a dot), only difference is they did not add a dot in the email address but that email address with still belongs to me. I don’t know how to close out the fraudulent PayPal account either that was created with the email address with out the dot.
Login to Me Too

AB-F
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same occur. Below is the info I found on the PayPal site to resolve this (I couldn’t copy the direct url because it was a help center pop up while in my account activities page): “Why am I receiving emails from PayPal when I don’t have an account? You may be receiving emails from us because a PayPal account has been registered with your email. Someone may have mistakenly added it to their account when they signed up, either mistyping it or intentionally entering an email that wasn’t theirs. Or it was recycled by a domain provider like Gmail, Hotmail, etc. If you have an email account and stop using it for a while, the domain provider can reissue the email address to the public and allow it to be used again by someone else. If you want to stop receiving those emails, send us a message at unsoli-cited-ema-il<A-T>Pay-pal<D-O-T>c-om. (remove all dashes-that was the only way I could post it) Tips: Email us using the email address that you’re receiving PayPal emails Include a statement acknowledging you don’t have a PayPal account and would like your email removed from the PayPal system If you’re not sure the email you received is from PayPal, check our tips to learn more about email phishing and how to spot a fake email.” Hope this helps others.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.