So-called "unusual activity" forcing password change

DragonDrums
Contributor
Contributor

Every 3-4 weeks, when I login, I get a screen that says "We noticed some unusual activity on your account. Please help us keep your information safe" and then I'm forced to change my password.  Every inquiry I've made, both by phone and the message center, has resulted in them telling me that there is NO unusual activity, but they can't explain why I'm given this message.  Has anyone else been getting this?  I understand the need for security, but making customers think their account has been hacked is not very professional!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DragonDrums 

If the system sees new or unusual activity, such as logging in to your PayPal account from a new device or from a different location, it may ask you to change password to protect your account.

Maybe clear your browser cache/cookies and restart device or uninstall app and reinstall.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DragonDrums 

If the system sees new or unusual activity, such as logging in to your PayPal account from a new device or from a different location, it may ask you to change password to protect your account.

Maybe clear your browser cache/cookies and restart device or uninstall app and reinstall.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DragonDrums
Contributor
Contributor
It's the same desktop in the same location, each time. On the rare occasions I use my phone or tablet, I don't get that message. Only when using the desktop.
Login to Me Too

Fiery65
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem, desktop PC, same browser, IT'S A JOKE!!!

Login to Me Too

lanitatreas
New Community Member

@ members And my problem is exactly the reverse. I get in just fine on my laptop, but the phone keeps saying change the password and won't let me in!

Login to Me Too

drpiou
New Community Member

I have the same issue, same browser, same location, same device. And besides that, you're asking at the unusual activity, to change the password... If it is related to past login attempts, and is not related to the current login, then please update the message informations to be more concise/clear.

Login to Me Too

sholzy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having this issue. I log in maybe once a week from my desktop only (no apps, no other desktops). Every time I'm forced to reset my password and It's getting old. Clearing the browser's cache/cookies does nothing to change things.

Login to Me Too

rabernet
New Community Member

I came on here for same issue. Clearing cookies and cache does nothing. It's annoying as hell. I logged on last night to add a new credit card. Logged on again this morning and got this stupid message. I'm literally yelling at Paypal screen saying "I JUST changed it on Monday!!! I don't WANT to change it again!!!" No other computers used between last night and today.

Login to Me Too

Angry99
New Community Member

I'm getting this all the time. Really sick and tired of the lame excuse of "a technical issue" which is being worked on. Just how long does it take?

Login to Me Too

Temp20221019G
New Community Member

I have the same issue! I use paypal once a week, always for the same weekly transaction, and every week it makes me change my password for "unusual activity". It's very, very usual activity. Very frustrating. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.