SSN requests

coleeng1
Contributor
Contributor

I have money waiting to deposit from rebates. Why is Pay Pal asking for my social security number.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Since we don't have all the facts, it's just a guess.   If you don't have both a bank account and/or credit card linked and confirmed, it's possible that PayPal wants additional proof of ID.   As stated in the User Agreement, PayPal has certain requirements that they can ask for to verify you are who you say you are.  The required identifying information is: name, physical address, date of birth and taxpayer identification number.   In many cases, when you link and confirm a bank account and credit card, the bank and/or card issuer has already vetted you so you don't have to through the process again with PayPal.   If there is a question, PayPal can ask for additional proof of ID - anything from your SSN to a Utility Bill with both your name and address on it.

Login to Me Too

wynna
Contributor
Contributor
When I opened my account almost 20years ago, both PayPal and eBay were proud to state they'd never ask your SSN. I have stopped using PayPal and deleted my financial institutions from my acct until if or when they change tactics. HOWEVER, they have no right to your utility bills. Information like that is limited to real estate purchases or conversely social services (welfare).
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.