SOLVED - Remove Old Mailing Addresses from PayPal Checkouts

gentlethunder
New Community Member

I have had several items returned to sender because on the checkout, there is a default to one of my old addresses.

When I have used My Profile settings, I was able to delete my old addresses (do this first) however, I went to purchase an item today from an online merchant and the default address during the PayPal checkout applet was an old address... AGAIN! So, I went back in to my Profile settings and found that the only address registered that I could modify or delete was my current address.

Many users are saying that we need to call PayPal to have old addresses removed from our online history however, today I found a workaround.

I will be specific because this may not work with other websites. The Bissell Canada website (vacuums) has an option to pay with PayPal. This is the workaround to remove old addresses that STILL remain after deleting from your PayPal Profile:

1) Go to the Bissell Canada website (won't post the link because I'm nor sure it's allowed here)

2) Search for "bags" and proceed to add an item for less than $5 to your cart

3) Proceed to your Cart and Checkout. Select PayPal as your payment method. YOU WILL BE ASKED TO CONFIRM THIS PURCHASE AFTER THE PAYPAL POPUP WINDOW CLOSES AND WE WILL BE CANCELLING BEFORE THAT ANYWAY. TRUST ME.

4) PayPal popup asks first to confirm payment method. Select your usual payment method.

5) HERE IS THE FIX. PayPal popup window shows a default address for delivery with the option to CHANGE. Click on CHANGE for the delivery address. Even if the address is the correct one.

6) The popup window will now display all previously used addresses. There will be an option to DELETE. Don't worry, no matter which address is selected, nothing is deleted yet. Click on the DELETE option.

7) There will be a quick reset of the popup window and now all addresses stored can be deleted one at a time.

*** if the original default address was not your current address, you can select it first, then click CHANGE again when it takes you back to the address confirmation screen then click DELETE and start deleting the other addresses you don't want to see again.

😎 Once you have all the old addresses deleted, you will have the option in the bottom of the PayPal popup screen to CANCEL AND RETURN  to the merchant page. Do this and you are done!!

This may work with other online merchants, if the PayPal popup window is launched at checkout. Just make sure you won't be making an unwanted purchase and always cancel after deleting your old addresses. 

I really hope this helps

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

Guijcm
New Community Member
Worked perfectly! Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Clayisland
Contributor
Contributor
This worked for me with one crucial detail - I had to click cancel and return to merchant for the changes to be saved. If I clicked the arrow to return to the shipping address menu all the "deleted" addresses were still there.
Login to Me Too

jessiew01
New Community Member

Was so hopeful, but it did not work for me. I tried this via a less well-known site compared to Bissell and the options to change my shipping address were there but the option to delete previous ones were not.

Login to Me Too

Baucoin31
Contributor
Contributor
Finally a real answer!!!! Thank you sooooo much! The bissell Canada was the only site that worked.... that was genius! Thank you!!!!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

Cognoscente
New Community Member

This work-around no longer works.  The Bissel Canada website gave me the same pop-up interface as any other US-based merchant. There was no option for "Delete" after clicking the change address button.
PayPal, if you are listening, it is ABSURD there is no option built into my Paypal Profile to go in and delete my old shipping address history.

Paypal needs to FIX THIS!

Login to Me Too

bambrow
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that this works for me on 11/03/2019. I double-checked with another PayPal-enabled online merchant without delete function (e.g. The Body Shop) and can confirm that those addresses were really deleted. I guess the delete button only appears in the PayPal popup window when checking out.

Login to Me Too

buckee
Contributor
Contributor

does not work for me.  Have nearly 20 addresses and cant delete one of them

Login to Me Too

JANASEA
Contributor
Contributor

This did not work for me. There was no DELETE option on the page - only the option to add a new address. Still searching for a solution...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @JANASEA,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our Community Help Forum!

I am sorry about your issue. Here is how to update your preferred shipping address through the check outflow:

1. Click Change across from the Ship To address.
  2. Select the correct address you wish to ship to - this will route you back to the Review page with the new address.
  3. Check mark the box to 'Make this my preferred shipping address'.

If adding a new ship to address:

1. Click Change across from the Ship To address.
  2. Click on '+Add' in the upper left corner and enter the new address. On the bottom of the form checkmark the box to 'Make this my preferred shipping address'

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.