SMS not delivered to Kazakhstan phone numbers

chikosh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I and many other people in Kazakhstan have got problems with SMS delivery. The number format is like 8 (7**) *** ****. Maybe the problem is that +7 should be instead of 8? But when entering the phone number with +7 it says that it's invalid. Probably country code is prepended automatically.

There are two problems why we need a fix:

1) Reset password not working since it's asking to enter SMS code which is not coming. The only way is to call the support phone number.

2) As I understand to enable the "SMS Security Key" I need to confirm the phone number first. That's also not possible now.

Are there any ways to fix this? Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

wakirin
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem, I can't confirm my phone number because sms is not coming.

Login to Me Too

wakirin
Contributor
Contributor

Any news ? I can't confirm my phone number, SMS doesn't come.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time confirming your phone number. 

Is the phone number a mobile number registered in a telephone contract in a name which matches that on your PayPal account? Does your telephone service provider accept short code messaging?

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

chikosh
Contributor
Contributor

> Is the phone number a mobile number registered in a telephone contract in a name that matches that on your PayPal account?

Yes, it's the same number.

> Does your telephone service provider accept short code messaging?

Yes, I use plenty of other services that are configured and use two-factor authorization to that phone number. SMS messages from them are always received.

When you add (or change) the phone number to your account it looks like this in the end - 8 7xx xxx xxxx. Then when you want to set up the 2FA the Paypal tries to send the SMS to the phone number like this - +7 8 7xx xx xxxx. As you can see the extra +7 is prepended and IMO it's the main problem.

I tried to enter the phone number in these formats: 7xx xxx xxxx and 8 7xx xxx xxxx. Neither works. +7 is always prepended and the final phone number looks like this - +7 8 7xx xx xxxx.

When you try to enter +7 when setting up the phone number the Paypal mobile app strips (ignores) the plus (+) sign. Therefore you can't setup the phone number like this - +7 7xx xxx xxxx. When you try to do the same from the web the Paypal says that the phone number is incorrect - "You have entered an invalid phone number.".

I hope that helps to narrow down the problem.

Login to Me Too

Dauren123
Contributor
Contributor

So how to resolve it? 

Which numbers variant is right to fresolve it in Kazakhstan ?

Login to Me Too

Manarbek
Contributor
Contributor

Have you got any solutions? My nymber looks like this usually +7(xxx)xx-xx-xxx , but PayPal didnt allow me to write it like this. So i entered my number like this 8(xxx)xx-xx-xxx. Maybe its the problem? Or should i contact mobile operator, but i think they will say that everything is ok cuz i get all the verification codes and any short messages. Help!

Login to Me Too

wakirin
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @PayPal_Rich ,

>> Is the phone number a mobile number registered in a telephone contract in a name which matches that on your PayPal account?

Yes, the phone number is the same

>> Does your telephone service provider accept short code messaging?

Yes, he does. Can you say what short numbers you are use in Kazakhstan ?

Login to Me Too

wakirin
Contributor
Contributor

Any news ? I still can't get the SMS code.
How to resolve this problem ?

Login to Me Too

wakirin
Contributor
Contributor

A problem still exists. Are there any plans for fix this ?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.