SCA without a mobile phone

Chris2550
Contributor
Contributor

How do I meet the requirements of SCA if I have not got a mobile phone? No mobile signal in my village.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chris2550 

Get a cheap PAYG phone that has wifi calling.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mngerhold
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue - having to get another phone just for that is silly - why can't they (Paypal) use landlines to send codes - other organisations manage to?

Login to Me Too

Dave20201

Same here I have no mobile and do not want one, also my father does not have one either and he uses paypal to.

If paypal do not send this number to my land line or do not find a way round this I will just stop using paypal .This is a shame I have used it for so many years and usually use paypal more than any other form of online payment.In the past I have used web sites because they use paypal it is my prefered method of paying and I buy almost everything online.

Login to Me Too

khananel
New Community Member

I do not own a mobile and do not want one. Can't afford one on JSA and can't use one due to disability. So if PayPal can't find out how to do SCA by other means i shall stop using PayPal. It's as if they are discriminating against the minority of people who do not use mobiles. I'm going to try to get through on the 'phone eventually to talk to a person... though I fear this may be a lost cause... 

Login to Me Too

Chris2550
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses but it does seem that PayPal has no way of meeting the needs of those without a mobile phone. It feels like there is a constant assumption that people own/use a mobile phone and the reality is not quite that straight forward. If there is no response from PayPal itself I will reluctantly have to stop using the service.

Login to Me Too

mngerhold
Contributor
Contributor

I posted this on another community thread:

========================================

Without Paypal's messaging help (!) I found this link: http://cochinoman.com/2017/09/03/add-symantec-vip-access-paypal-account/  which (even though it is dated 2017) still helps.  It points one at a Paypal page to setup VIP, or similar authenticators:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_setup-security-key

and this still works.  As the VIP app has no 'next' button I just waited for the second code to appear:

paypal 2FA-3.png

and it works.  As Paypal has been insisting on a code each time I log in (lately), I just tried it and logged in fine.  I cannot tell if anyone will ever see this, or if they can see the screen shots I included, but it may help someone.  Of course, the someone who really needs help is Paypal themselves!

===================================

I have now 'passed' 2FA and this PC is trusted, so I may not get further hassle - will let you know!  Martin

PS Some genie has reoved some iffy content (who know what) but this still looks OK!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.