Review account login activity

InformedBuyer
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I got an email on my business account from Paypal about a New Login to Paypal from an unrecognized device. It didn't look like a phishing email, it was from service at paypal, it addressed me by my name. I looked at the email headers, it has a valid SPF IP address, the DKIM signature was verified, it had a valid DMARC and it was encrypted. So all the marking of an authenticated email from Paypal. Paypal customer care is adamant they never sent me any emails, well I guess someone hacked Paypal's systems to send emails in that case. Then I had a very unpleasant conversation with the customer exec about trying to see how I can review my login activity. According to her it's corporate policy.

I'm shocked is that I can see my login activity, my IP address on this COMMUNITY FORUM settings page; but when I log into my Paypal business account I cannot see when/where the last few logins were from, which device, which IP address etc. A paypal run community forum will show this information but my paypal financial institution won't allow me to review my login activity to secure my account.

How do I get this information, it's rather basic that EVERYONE today provides business sellers to help secure their accounts. Is there a way to escalate this to the Product Management team or security team at Paypal to review and reconsider allowing users to reviewing their login activity in business accounts to help secure them? Is there an email? I'm guessing Management doesn't really care unless it becomes a public relations nightmare.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

trptcolin
Contributor
Contributor

I hit this as well last night, and my time seemed to line up w/ the last time a Mint update happened.

Password reset; 2FA added.

Login to Me Too

InformedBuyer
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you're right, today as a test I used Mint on a previously unused computer and a few minutes later at the same timestamp I got an email notification from Paypal with the Firefox OS X message. I guess Mint is internally using the Firefox OS X browser agent to connect to Paypal and my guess is they've changed the way the connect or maybe using new servers who's IP addresses are unknown to Paypal and is triggering this message.

Good to have resolved this one, it's but frustrating that Paypal won't allow us to see our own accounts login activity/IP address and to make it worse they don't even know that their own systems are sending genuine notification emails (the customer care agent was ADAMANT that Paypal didn't send that email).

Login to Me Too

tnhdrn
Contributor
Contributor
Exact same happened with me. Two nights in a row. Both correlate with times that Mint updates. Just chatted with PayPal CSR. Would not give me IP address of Firefox OS X that logged in, and offered that this might be an erroneous email sent by PayPal as there was site maintenance going on. I’m going with there is an issue with Mint and PayPal. So frustrating.
Login to Me Too

coolcapnc

Thank you, this was driving me crazy. Happened again after I changed my password.

Login to Me Too

ravenut28
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me today.  Login notification from Firefox OS X device.

Also use Mint, got an alert today about my monthly Mint summary.  Changed password and added 2FA just in case but was troubling until I found this post...

Login to Me Too

er_salm
Contributor
Contributor
Good call on Mint, I also use it. Agree with OP it's very troubling that we can't view the history and customer service doesn't seem aware of PayPal's own notifications. In this case, in addition to the IP we probably would have needed some indicator the the login was from Mint or using their token.
Login to Me Too

feernot
New Community Member

I received mine this morning. It concerned me so I did the typical password reset and enabled 2FA. However, I think it is ridiculous that you can't easily review login history. Instead I'm trying to email/chat support to find out if my account login information was actually compromised or not.

Login to Me Too

cr08
New Community Member

Also chiming in on this. Been getting this notification about once a month the past couple months and I also use Mint. Glad to know it isn't anything nefarious. I, too, went through the whole process of creating a new randomized password and updating my 2fa. I think I'm simply going to drop Paypal off my Mint account as I have had no luck getting it to actually properly update and it seems to like displaying my credit line balance as my main PP balance for some reason.

Login to Me Too

InformedBuyer
Contributor
Contributor
If you’re using 2FA I don’t think Mint will be able to synchronize with PayPal properly because the connection will be interrupted.
Login to Me Too

emjayfaypawl
New Community Member

I have changed my password 4 times now. It is getting annyoing. I suspect it to be Mint. It alwasys states the same login details.

Firefox OS X? Do you guys get the same? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.