Remove cell phone number acquired by Paypal in a sneaky fashion

pianotech
Contributor
Contributor

For months, Paypal has been asking if I would like to add a cell phone number when I login. I could not proceed to login until I either said yes or not right now. I would select not right now and go ahead to login because I did not want to add a cell phone number.

Yesterday I went to login to Paypal, at which time, it said that my account showed suspicious activity. I could either answer security questions or receive a text with a one-time code. I proceeded to answer the security questions which I knew the correct answers to, yet both questions said I answered them incorrectly. I do believe I would know my first school and my first pet. Nevertheless, according to Paypal, I could not answer these questions successfully.

The only other option available to me was to receive a text with a one-time code. I begrudgingly entered my cell phone number as my home phone is a land line without text capability. I received the one-time code and went on to login. Also, I was forced to change my password. Paypal would not say what the suspicious activity was. 

The real kicker is that now Paypal will not let me remove my cell phone number, citing that unless I had two other phone numbers on file, I cannot remove my cell phone number.

I feel absolutely, totally manipulated. 

Ebay, on the other hand will give me the option to receive a one-time code through email.

Why does Paypal act in such a clan destined way?

Is this, in fact the case that I cannot remove my cell phone number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pianotech 

Read the MODERATORS post on this thread as its a new policy.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Don-t-have-a-mobile-phone/m-p/2032677#M65272

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.