Receive money without a Social Security Number

paoli99
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a US PayPal account because I was studying in the US, I'm a foreigner. I was sent money from Upwork but cannot accept it because I do not have a social security number. I do not want to lose my money, what can I do?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paoli99 

If you are no longer in the US then its unlikely you can access those funds as paypal is country specific.

If you move countries you have to open a paypal account in your own country. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

paoli99
Contributor
Contributor

Im still in the US, my visa is still valid, I won't be able to get a SSN now due to the corona virus and I need the money

Login to Me Too

rnatividad
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @paoli99 

Which part is it asking you to provide SSN? Is it when you click on accept money below the PayPal balance? If so, you do not need to worry because that means the money has been successfully transferred to your account. You can still transfer it to your bank. 

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Stay safe! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rnatividad 

@paoli99 

They need an SSN due to the below policy in the US.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-can-i-do-with-my-personal-paypal-account,-paypal-ca...

and follow the steps to get set up with PayPal Cash. This includes viewing the disclosures, user agreement and confirming your identity with us. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rnatividad
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You can still accept the money even without confirming identity/upgrading to a PayPal Cash account, if it is still not possible. Just click on accept money and, instead of selecting keep on PayPal, select transfer to bank. You can add your SSN later. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@paoli99 

You can still transfer to bank account but if you plan to go over $20K and 200 transactions in goods and services payments in 2020, you'll eventually be asked to to enter a SSN or ITIN about the last 10 to 25% of the way to those thresholds.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.