Question about twitch donations

jdr475
Contributor
Contributor
My son is 15 and has been streaming on Twitch. He went into PayPal to spend his money (first time getting money from twitch) and PayPal asked for his SSN. I am really concerned due to all the identity theft. Is this a normal practice? And if so, why?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jdr475 

It is the new normal. SSN is required for tax and identification purposes. And you have another issue, your son is under age and must be 18 to operate a PayPal account. PayPal will eventually permanently suspend his account if an SSN is not provided and/or they find out he is not 18. When he is of age, he may contact PayPal customer service about his suspended account and to set up a new one and move the funds over. A parent can't co-sign on this. No underage users, period. PayPal got rid of the child or student PayPal accounts years ago. I've even read of cases where PayPal will suspend an account that was opened when the user was underage but at time of suspension the user was not.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.