Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Aleks133
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, i’m trying to login but there is a verification code sent to my phone number, the problem is that this number is no longer in use note: i still can pay with pp in online stores
Login to Me Too

Cobenski
Contributor
Contributor

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE :'( It asks my old phone number

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Aleks133 

@Cobenski 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Aleks133
Contributor
Contributor
just tried all of the above and i’m still not able to log in, however just messaged the team as i might be needing their help much appreciated for all the “contact us” info - really helpful
Login to Me Too

mjoypadilla
New Community Member
Hi can someone help me Someone sent on my paypal but i couldn't access on it because whenever i try to open it it always say we couldn't confirm it's you What should i do? Can someone help me
Login to Me Too

Cobenski
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I changed my phone number on paypal with the new one but when I wanna log in it asks my old number  ?

Login to Me Too

Azevedo2
New Community Member
+447306854290
Login to Me Too

SD112
New Community Member

Hello. i have a paypal and my phone number it is wrong with one number. I mean when the account was made, i guess i accidentaly press 0 after the phone number. the phone number it`s ok, but has one number in plus at the end. and i can not access my paypal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SD112 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

thesunray
Contributor
Contributor

So frustrated with the ridiculousness of PayPal's login process.  Usually, no matter what I do, it says there's a problem with my account and insists I change my password...which I do...and then it works.  I then update that password, ensuring it's the same in my password list, only to have the SAME **bleep** issue the next time I log in.

Today however, the ridiculousness went even further:  It now says I have to add a phone number.  I am a travel writer, often needing to send a quick payment to people from random parts of the world via PayPal, and often my SIM card is different.  So I try my Skype number first.  Which doesn't work.  Then I try my text number.  That doesn't work either.  Finally I try my actual phone, knowing that the moment a different SIM goes in I'll kiss goodbye to PayPal until I'm back in the country...and THAT doesn't work either.  I'm completely locked out of my account.  **bleep**, PayPal!!!  It's unbelievable to me that you could be so bassackwards about this.  Every. Damn. Time. 

So what do I do?  Luckily, by going through the whole reset-password rigamarole I could log in here and post, but I still can't actually access PayPal or my account.  I can't use their "Contact Us" page because guess what?  I have to log in in order to even send them a Help message or feedback.  It's unbelievable.  I can't even begin to express the frustration.

Sorry to be posting a half rant, but I'm really begging for help.  I have to send $14 dollars to get a piece of photo equipment asap, which may not arrive in time for my next trip.  If anyone knows what's going on or can alert PayPal to the uselessness of their current "security" I would be greatly appreciative.  It's so demoralizing and just makes me absolutely hate trying to use this service.  Thank you in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.