Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

cnesko
New Community Member

Same for me. I could login to community to be able to write this (doesn't require 2FA)  but can't do anything about my ordinary account.

This is so frustrating.

Login to Me Too

FingrSling

I have the same thing.  Only old numbers on file, and resetting through email and bankcard doesn't work.  Did anyone find a solution?

Login to Me Too

taylak94

I also cannot get into my paypal, it is really frustrating as I have money there; family had sent to the wrong email, I no longer use this account. I have tried to call paypal to no avail and need to have it sent into my other paypal. If anybody manages to get past the silly  PSD2 please let us know!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

angelbangel
Contributor
Contributor

Please Help! Same issue. I can't log in to my account because my previous phone number has been broken.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@angelbangel 

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky.
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Threed
New Community Member

I couldn't login to my paypal account

Login to Me Too

thooorn23
Contributor
Contributor

I've made it! Here's the solution.

1. Use completely new web browser, just download a new one - different than you use daily - DON'T do anything on it - any settings, any google accounts, it has to be completely blank. JUST DON'T. I said NO. Got it?
2. Go to PayPal log in and try to reset your password by selecting "forgot your password"
3. Follow the instructions: security code, blah blah...
4. Set the new password and confirm it.
5. After that the site MUST log you in automatically. Just simple as that.
6. If it doesn't happen - back to 1.

I made it with the Firefox browser - daily I'm using Chrome. I think it's all about cookies, safety settings and your browser which preventing you from unexpected forwarding to unknown sites without any clear instructions from the user like clicking on a button.

Login to Me Too

Simponinsta
New Community Member

omg that worked! Thanks so much man, Paypal support have been non existent/useless. I used Vivaldi browser to do this. What a relief. Now time to use paypal as little as possible. 

Login to Me Too

kolsi
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, it is not solved. Although password reset gets me to my account Summary page, clicking on anything logs me out and I am back in that login-cannot verify loop.

Login to Me Too

Viia
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't work for me 😞 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.