Privacy

WinterIsHere
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I found this,     You write in the forum:

The only information available publicly through your PayPal.Me link will be your Profile photo (if you have one), the name associated with the account?, a cover photo if you added one, the personal note, and your city and country according to your preferences. 

This information is displayed to reassure your friends and family that they are paying the right person.

But, when creating your PayPal.Me profile you have to agree to this:

I agree that my name, photo, username, email, and mobile can be shown to others to make it easier to find me on PayPal and to transact with me, and I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

I don’t want the public / everybody / all PayPal users to see my full name, email and mobile, and the city / country I live in!

I do not want my personal data published publicly.

I want only my contacts to be able to see / view my profile / data. And chose whom I add as a contact or not.

• Is that possible, with PayPal?

PS: To be clear, I don’t mind PayPal having my data, obviously…. I would not be writing here else. And it is clear that, if I purchase anything that needs to be shipped to me, the seller needs to know my data such as name and the delivery address at some point then. But I am a private person, I don’t need to be found, I don’t need to be published publicly, I don’t sell anything.

Thanks for enlightening me what data of me are shown / published and to whom.

In this forum I believe it is only my nickname (WinterIsComing) and I agreed to publish account type and country.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WinterIsHere 

I don't think they mean publicly as in way out in the open advertised but available enough so that if someone you know has your name, mobile number, full name, city/state does a search, they can find you to transact with you. How would the system know a contact is your contact if you keep it private? Are they cross referencing through our email inboxes for that? Maybe so, maybe no. Or, just through transacting alone and then contacts are connected in that way. Or we entering our contacts? Maybe that could be an option, instead of letting people do a search.

If you do not want people to be able to search for you, then do not use PayPal.me link at all or disable it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

WinterIsHere
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker

Thanks for your reply.

If I don’t use PayPal.Me link, how can I share my PayPal account with somebody I want to share it with?

I just don’t get how it works.

I wish PayPal would provide clear information on what exactly is, and will be shown as your public profile, and what will be shown to acknowledged private contacts…. And provide description, for example: after you click on purchase, only then your physical address will be provided to the seller, not before etc.

It is all very confusing to me. And in my opinion it is not described sufficiently. At least I cannot find those info, or are they available somewhere?

Another thing… I synchronized my contacts (PayPal app). It shows me only the contacts I saved with email address(es)…. (it didn’t import the other contacts). Means, the email address is important for PayPal. I got this so far.

Now… How can I see who uses PayPal already? Is there a way or not? Or do I have to ask every single one, and only after a transaction can they be added or marked as PayPal pals?

For comparison, Whatsapp. There I can set the privacy so only my saved contacts can see my profile. And I can see who of my saved contacts uses whatsapp and view their profile. (Unless they did not save me as their contact).

(I know PayPal is not an instant messenger provider but shouldn’t PayPal App for smartphones have same contact features?).

I am now trying out and getting started. But to me, it is not very user friendly not for newbies nor for dummies and the info and description provided are sparse… or well hidden…

Am clearly frustrated at this point.

But again, thank you for your reply. And soon, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Login to Me Too

Kristi_
New Community Member

read the whole privacy policy paypal has and you will find that that gives them the right to collect any and all information on you and to share that information with people and companies they see fit. i was shocked to see what they gathered on me and reported to credit reporting agencies which is on file for all to see. https://www.paypal.com/va/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full#2

after finding all this out i have thought twice about having a paypal account which i have used for so many years but paypal does not protect your privacy at all, in fact it even states they will give out your information. my privacy is not private anymore because of paypal.

read the fine print in all privacy policies from now on.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.