Possible scam?

MargaretMM1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am new to PayPal. I posted my electronic on Kijiji and got offer for more than I asked with mention to send it to US. I said yes to the offer at the beginning and got message <removed>  with well known end: 

"We at PayPal are using this medium to write you that this PayPal®  payment of $550,00 USD has been deducted from the buyer's account and has  been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking  number collected from FEDEX / USPS  is sent to us for verification..

WARNING: Do not provide the Reference Tracking details to the buyer till we confirmed the Postage and your account been credited.
**PLEASE NOTE**
PLEASE, DO NOT DELETE THIS MAIL AND IF THIS EMAIL IS IN YOUR SPAM MAIL FOLDER, MARK IT AS "NOT SPAM ".
Note: We advise you to get back to us with the Reference Tracking details once the goods is been posted at:  xxxxxx before your funds can be Processed"

I got suspicious as why PayPal will use gmail to contact me? It was with my name and last name as person texted me with questions, saying they need it to to the transaction. I contacted PayPal and got information it was a phishing email. Person is texting me with shipment saying I will get my money once I ship the item and that money is pending. I have NO information on my PayPal account though, not on hold, simply nothing. I googled names of people who said to sent me money and those who are about to get package. They don't exist on facebook/instagram/linkedin!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MargaretMM1

This is a typical scam

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MargaretMM1

This is a typical scam

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MargaretMM1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

westwest80
New Community Member

who do i report the possible scam account to? i have his supposed name, address, email. 

Login to Me Too

MargaretMM1
Contributor
Contributor

Please send suspicious message to spoof@paypal.com. It's somewhere on a website and can save your money. Also, what I know from personal experience show suspicious e-mail to coworkers or colleagues. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.