Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

KOSTASGIAGKOU
New Community Member

Can not sign in to change my new phone number because it sends  sms to the old one which dos not exist

Login to Me Too

Monty1500
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to get into my account but the authentication process says they will contact me via a phone number I no longer have, ergo, cannot proceed.

Any advice as to how to overcome this?

Many thanks - Monty1500

Login to Me Too

Scriptus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I use paypal very intermittently. I have a pathological browser that regularly deletes

important passwords - this has led to the following scenario

1. Request to reset Paypal UK password 

done via an email link [ok]

2. Login to Paypal UK with new password

You cannot continue to login until we send a text-message PSD2 to your [old no longer exists] phone number

I do not see how I can update to a new phone number at 2 so that I can get a text and

continue to login?

Any ideas??

Login to Me Too

Levi19901
New Community Member

Hi, i haven't used my PayPal in some time but when I log in it asks for Auth - then has my old number which I cannot use?? I can't go on live chat as it won't log me in on my account,  OR  send an email to then and other phone just rings does anyone know how I get around this??

Thanks Authentication required

As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you.

Find out more

• Have us call you

We'll show you a code on the next screen. Use it when you get our call.

Home ‪01••• ••0382‬

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Levi19901 

WHEN YOU GAIN ACCESS YOU NEED TO ADD A MOBILE PHONE TO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT AS YOU WILL NEED TO ACCEPT TEXTS TO ACCESS YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT IN THE FUTURE.

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

OliviaOlly
New Community Member

I live in 2 countries, I opened my first pay pal account in Thailand with a thI number. Then I moved to Europe for a while and I cannot add my European mob. Phone number to the Thai account. I tried to open another account with a different email, but still, PayPal tells m e that I already have an account...... Any tips? 

Login to Me Too

Tricia1243
Contributor
Contributor

In the last couple of days I’ve had trouble getting into my PayPal account.  I know my password was correct and for some reason I had to change it.  However I still can’t access my account!  Every time I try  I get a message stating PayPal Prompt but there is nothing there.  I’ve tried on both my IPad and IPhone and the message just says PayPal prompt and nothing else! I’ve tried everything and it’s so frustrating!  I’ve just sold an item for £75 and I received a message that they were transferring £65 odd to my bank account.  Why are they suddenly not trusting me to pay their fees?  So annoying.  I can’t send them a message without getting into my account!🥺. Help please!

Login to Me Too

Rolikas
New Community Member
Hello how to change phone number or delete account if I can't log in to my PayPal account?
Login to Me Too

RamezSh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I'm having trouble logging into my account because I lost my phone ( i have no longer access to my previous phone number )and I am using two-factor authentication, but i do have access to my email and password

Login to Me Too

Peterbujnak
Hi guys. I no longer used my phone number which registered on my account. And tried to log in, but paypal request to call or to text for this number for additional verification, also I can change this number because I have to log in. This is like a circle. What you suggest to do? Tnanks
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.