Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

coolvery3
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing this but not just with Paypal, but also with Abra wallet. I think it has something to do with the app's validation of mobile number formats. Also my issue is not yet resolved 😞

Login to Me Too

1Raydon
New Community Member
I just received a large insurance settlement, now PayPal is sending the code I need to retrieve the money to an old phone number and no one can fix the problem. I can't send money from my account to another PayPal account because the code is going to an old phone number. Been arguing with them for 3 day's now.
Login to Me Too

sharondenver
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to help my elderly mother access her PayPal account. I am so frustrated, I'm almost in tears. Her cell phone number changed last week, and it was the only number listed on her account. She doesn't know her password. We can't reset the password without getting the verification code, but the only option it offers is to send a code to the old cell phone number. YOU CANNOT REACH PAYPAL CUSTOMER SERVICE IN ANY WAY UNLESS YOU ARE LOGGED IN. We *can't* log in, can't pass the security verification. I see others have posted similar situations, but I haven't seen any of them resolved. Someone is charging things to my mother's PayPal account, but we can't log in to see if recent charges are hers or fraudulent. My mom is 84 years old and she can't navigate this mess. she's so stressed out right now, she went to bed to lie down.

This is maddeningly frustrating.

Login to Me Too

SanChris
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have an old PayPal account set up that I have not accessed for several years. I now live in the UK and have a new PayPal account. Mistakenly I sent the wrong email address to one of my friends who has sent money to my international PayPal account. All of the cards and bank account associated with that old account will be closed or out of date. Will my friend get the money returned to her?. I cannot log into find out as the telephone number for the verification code no longer belongs to me. I can log in using my email but can get no further without the verification to be able to amend my profile.

Login to Me Too

pd6

I'm autistic. I don't use phones, so I don't have one. I reluctantly used an old number to maintain account access some time ago, but the number no longer exists. I have nobody to help, yet paypal won't allow me to login until I confirm a code sent to a non-existent phone number. They are offering no way to change the number on file, or any other solution to this problem, and the system is clearly set up to send you round and round in circles until you give up and abandon your funds.

I've done nothing wrong, I need to buy my medication and my account access has been removed for no good reason. It cannot be right for paypal to discriminate against those of us with unusual needs in this way, without offering any means of support or resolution. The only method of communication I can find is the 'call us' option which is useless to me.

Can anybody recommend a way around this problem?

Login to Me Too

diecastdad
New Community Member

WHY AM I HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE GETTING SOMEONE ON THE PHONE TO SPEAK TO? I CANT EVEN FIND A LIVE CHAT BUTTON! I HAVE BEEN ON THE PHONE FOR OVER TWO HOURS TODAY, YESTERDAY FOR 4 HOURS AND NOTHING.

Login to Me Too

Katiehannahs
Contributor
Contributor
I can't get into my paypal because it is asking to send a code to my old number which I don't have access too.
Login to Me Too

sharondenver
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem and it brought me to tears. I finally reached customer service through Facebook, of all things. There is a solution.

I talked to someone at <removed>

Login to Me Too

dariusboun
New Community Member

Hello i cant login because i dont have that phone number anymore,what to do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dariusboun 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.