Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Pliskin7
New Community Member

I have been trying to contact about this problem for several weeks now. I return to Paypal after I haven't use it for a long time. The login and password is fine but the problem is the authentication system that required my phone number to activate it. the problem is I did not use that phone number anymore and there is no other way to resolve this issue. I tried to contact Paypal facebook on both chat and comment but no success. It tried changing my password, download mobile app but nothing work. What can I do to this problem now because I'm quite lost now. can I just resolve this with e-mail rather than phone number and how can I do it. 

Login to Me Too

Manuela0811
Contributor
Contributor
Hi People, I have problem to acces to My paypal account...I can change My password, he sends me a code on My email and I can change it without a problem, but after that he trys to verify me by sending me SMS, but...the mobile number wher they want to send me SMS is wrong (don't even know how that is possible since I have My number for 15 yrs allready and I was paying with PayPal few months ago and have recived SMS on My number when I was changing My password). I can not acces to My account to change the number, I don't have acces to message Center to contact someone directly, nothing....if I try to pay something, the same thing, autentification is required but constantly on wrong number. I am trying to call on the number from their page, but it is Like number does not exist. Maybe some od you have experience with that kind od problem and how did you solve it?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manuela0811 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JamesMCP
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I've been locked out my account for over a year. The reason being I have a new phone and number, and my account is linked to my old one. Upon seeking advice from PayPal on Facebook and also the live chat, I found their solution actually did not work.. and was probably based on out dated information. I thought this unlikely however there were definite inconsistencies in the steps provided. Is anyone able to give me a bullet proof answer to this problem? I would be extremely greatful.
Login to Me Too

ChevyCastro
Contributor
Contributor
I have changed my phone number and have no longer access to my old number, to sign into my account I’ve been sent a code to my old number. Is there any way to sign into my account?
Login to Me Too

FrederickWalter
New Community Member

I do not text nor do I receive texts. Therefore, I cannot receive the text used to verify my non-existent mobile number to continue to use PayPal. The system will not let me move forward and there are no other options to contact paypal without entering this code. 

Login to Me Too

Underground81
New Community Member

I can't get into my old account because it has an old number I don't use. I'm sure the only option it to ring up and get them to give me access to account, but I've had the phone on loud speaker for 3 hour listening to the same crap tune getting nowhere. How can I get into my account or get hold of someone at paypal. The most ridiculous I've ever seen and it's been like this for years. 

Anyway to resolve this quickly?

Login to Me Too

karlmatthewst
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone, As I have changed my phone number I cannot log in in my paypal account please sort this asap. Kind Regards, Karl <removed>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@karlmatthewst 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ERTRUGUL786
New Community Member

HI,PEOPLE

I  FORGOT MY PASSWORD SO I CHANGED IT TO A NEW ONE,BUT I FORGOT TO UPDATE MY TELEPHONE NUMBER  AS PAYPAL REQIURES IT FOR SENDING A CODE FOR  AUTHANTIFICATION MY ACCOUNT.

NOW I CANT GET VERIFIED,OR LOG IN OR UPDATE MY ACCOUNT, AS IT KEEPS SENDING MY CODE TO THE OLD TELEPHONE NUMBER WHICH I DONT HAVE ANY MORE.

HOW CAN I CONTACT PAYPAL TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.