Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

regyol
Contributor
Contributor

Please can you assist me? My number has changed and i cant log into my account. I have tried different browsers and even changed my password. After entering my password and you are diverted to the page where it dials the code there is an option to confirm a different way but it just takes you back to the phone code 

thank you 

Login to Me Too

Farouk10
New Community Member
I can’t login to my account as they keep sending me codes to my old number that I don’t have anymore. I changed my number and PayPal still has my old number. Please help
Login to Me Too

Pavoo

I have all my information needed to login (email + pass), but I received a new phone number years ago and now I can't login to my account as I do not have my old phone number? 

Please help.

Login to Me Too

Nentorie
New Community Member
Stuck outside due to being unable to change my old number and can't even contact support wtf
Login to Me Too

WisoAltred
Contributor
Contributor

Support is unavailable due to COVID and overload. Your best bet is making a new account right now to suit your needs, and continuing to try and contact support as best as you can. Eventually, (maybe around 2 weeks), they should be able to ask you for verification and you can get your account back. Try to keep important account info for stuff like paypal closer to you for this one.

Login to Me Too

SimonaHoy1
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to resolve the problem by following these instructions:

In order to regain access to your other account and update the phone number, you will need to contact us from our logged out live chat service. To start a conversation without logging into your account: 1.Go to www.paypal.c. 2.Click Contact at the bottom of the page. 3.Click Password and account access under "Common Issues". 4.Click Login problems. 5.Click Message us at the bottom of the page. 6.Click Chat with us while logged out.

Much better solution then the one listed here 🙂 Good luck!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nentorie 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Krysiagr
Contributor
Contributor

Why this topic is marked as solved when so many customers still have this problem and PayPal does nothing with it!

Login to Me Too

megan-dg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've tried to reach PayPal by phone but after waiting over 2 hours I gave up 🤷  I know my PP password but when I log in via browser, it asks me to verify via text or phone call. However, the number connected is from a phone number I no longer have access to. How can I update my phone number? And is there any other way to do the verification, I frequently switch numbers as I'm traveling hence I use prepaid cards, not one permanent number.

Thanks so much!

Megan

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@megan-dg 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.