Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greg0069 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lisacancel
New Community Member

I think it is time that paypal sort the problem out concerning new mobile phone numbers.

I have spent the last hour going round in circles trying to get logged on so that i can change my number, but like many people i see who have this problem I can't log on because i don't have my old number ANYMORE! Through no fault of my own i was forced to have a new mobile number and now i can't access MY account because i need to enter a code which is going to a number I NO LONGER HAVE!!!

I will cancel my account now i am done. Oh do i need my old number to cancel?

2021 not 2001 come on paypa move with the times.

Thanks paypal also for stopping vape companies using your service....YOU are losing out not them there are other methods of payment.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lisacancel 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Navarro
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying the proposed options but so far only receive the following message: 

"Authentication required

As part of the PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication regulation, we need additional information to confirm it's really you.

Find out more

• Receive a text

Mobile xxxxx"
Login to Me Too

johnie2054
Contributor
Contributor
I also suffer from this problem...
Login to Me Too

johnie2054
Contributor
Contributor
It's really annoying because PayPal claim to be a big secure company, but they can't get this simple verification problem sorted out? I wonder how many other users have been stopped from using this service, because they can't login?!
Login to Me Too

feready
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo there.

I got a problem for loggin into my account. Long story short, i was created my account in Indonesia so i choose Indonesia to my country region, then i moved to Kuwait and using this paypal account . Then I started Fiverr. and someday My Customer directly sent money through my paypal account big amount that i have ever done before. After that i couldn't login into my account. I tried many times but is not working. 

paypal suggest to call them its Singapore Paypal Number. the problem is my number the one i used to my account is in Indonesia still active. I used different number in Kuwait. 

My question is how i can acces my account. and is it possible to call them with Kuwait Number. Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@feready 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Or
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

KhalRabben
New Community Member
Ive tried contacting the customer support on twitter, and searched on the web for what I can do, but the only question Im left with is; Is there anything i can really do? The only option u get when trying «having trouble logging in» is to be called on your old phone number, and that leads me no way at all.
Login to Me Too

HELP WITH THIS ISSUE PLEASE!

looked everywhere, man the F up already PayPal - what is this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.