Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

Piotr30
New Community Member
Hi. I can't log in into my account becase i've changed my mobile number. Any chance to get access or close account?
Login to Me Too

ZerainV2
New Community Member

Hello i have issue with Two Step Verification on another account, i made this cause to connect with your support, because you haven any email contact on your website... Only one choice which u giving me 24/7 is change password, btu it wont help me, i havent access to my old mobile number which is chosen for the Two Step Verification at old account, what can i do to change that phone number,??

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ZerainV2 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stacey1901
New Community Member
Hi, How can I log in using the 2 step authentication if my mobile and land line numbers are incorrect? Thanks.
Login to Me Too

Wayneus
New Community Member

Hi All,

pulling my hair out here.

how the hell do I log in after having a new phone number with 2 step verification.

I have tried and tried password changes with no problem using my memorable questions, but every time I log in, I need 2 step verification on my old phone.

so frustrating, tried app and still no joy, no live chat, no email address to send info, what the bloody hell are you supposed to do!

thanks

wayne

Login to Me Too

NickN1234
New Community Member

Hi, I haven't used PayPal for a good few years, so I've reset my password and now it wants me to confirm its me via my very old mobile number, I obviously cant change it as I cant log in and I cant message PayPal as I cant log in, does anyone know a work around?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NickN1234 

Click on ''go to solution'' top of this thread for options.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AlexMcKean
New Community Member
I no longer have access to the mobile number registered for the two step verification process how do I alter that from my new phone?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AlexMcKean 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PJ73
New Community Member

I've changed my phone and now can't get access to my account due to the MFA challenge.  All requests for support or help require a log-in..which I can't do! Any ideas how I can contact PayPal without logging in or restore my account using an alternative proof of ID (email for instance)?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.