Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Molly666
Contributor
Contributor

MY old phone died, have new mobile but cant access account to change phone number. What is the answer?

Login to Me Too

Nadiaa2
New Community Member

Hi, I have a very old PayPal account that I didn't use last 15 years and I didn't log in last 15 years as well. Meanwhile, I changed my phone number and now when I try to log in, the system wants to use my old phone number to call me to verify if I am the real account owner - of course, not possible since my old phone number now is used by another person that I don't know. As I didn't update phone number in my PayPal account years ago, I can no longer log in.

I don't need my PayPal account anymore and I want to close it but due to changing my phone number cannot log in to do it by myself. There is no actual bank account or financial information linked to my PayPal account. So how can I close it?

Login to Me Too

Litsa1993
New Community Member
I have a different phone number and i can't log in because paypal cant verify me... Help
Login to Me Too

Blaine_909
New Community Member
Hi everyone I’m trying to log in to my account that I haven’t used for a while. I put in username and password but the phone number authentication that they send a text too is an old number and no longer have access to it! I’m with my brother and logged in on his at the moment so I can post this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks all
Login to Me Too

Zachariastv
New Community Member
Hi i have a problem to connect with PayPal. After the email , asked me to verify my phone number, but i have changed my phone number and i can't connect to PayPal because i don't have the previous number anymore
Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else noticed that PayPal moderators are constantly refiling messages about the 2-step verification problem into this thread without resolving it? Interesting definition of 'community'...

Login to Me Too

Pingo5
New Community Member
I created an account years ago and used my old telephone numbet for seccurity and verification. However, havent used payapl account for more than 5 years and in this time I have changed my phone number. Now I wish to use my paypal account again but its asking to verify myself by sending text to my old phone number. Is there any chance i can change my phone number without verification. Or any solution to this? Or, my account is lost and i must set up new one?
Login to Me Too

Matt198407
New Community Member

Hi

I have a problem, when try to log in to PayPal then PayPal required autorisation by call, the problem is I change phone number and cant get it that way, there is no option I can change verification way and also cant change phone number on my PayPal as need go trough verification first! What I can do with it please?

Thank you

Matt

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Matt198407 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Andreea32
New Community Member

Steps 1-7 don't work, that is they aren't solving the problem.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.