Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

cathjohnstone
New Community Member

Hello

I need to update my phone number but I can't login to do that because 2 step authentication is set with my old number. If I can't login I can't change the number, and if I can't change the number I can't login.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

'Solved' here takes on a truly Kafkaesque meaning. Congratulations PayPal on devising a successful business model which involves treating your customers with absolute contempt. 

(I can log in here to post this but not into my account, how hilarious)

I am not a robot

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

"Congratulations, you earned the Icebreaker Badge!" What is this, a Hey Duggee forum? How long before I get my Blocked by PayPal Moderator badge, I wonder

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again, given how my previous posts might be received I don't want to be seen as too negative on this forum and so endanger my social credit score further, so on a more constructive note: does anyone know of a reliable alternative payment-mediating service which those of us who have been locked out by PayPal could switch to? I appreciate it might be difficult for competitors to get much of a look-in, what with eBay owning PayPal (monopoly much?), but still. Any names, list them here. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@entact 

Firstly thanks for slating my help in the solution !!

I put together everything I could think of that may help others log in, and many have managed to do so.

However if they can't then I added on Paypals contact information.

So if you found my FREE HELP annoying then please feel free to post your own 'solution' on this 'user to user' community forum.

Secondly Ebay does not own Paypal they split years ago, where have you been?

Lastly loads of other payment processors around, try google to find them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @kernowlass, I wasn't slating you personally or your efforts to help, just highlighting that the issue is far from SOLVED, and it is up to PayPal, not users on a community forum, to solve it.

Thank you for the ownership update. I now see from Wikipedia that their 'agreement' ended last year, and they're now entirely separate entities. My mistake is perhaps understandable as PayPal still comes up as the default payment method on eBay transactions. Must be a glitch.

I was asking about other companies partly as a snub to the PayPal brand, obviously, and partly because I guessed that eliciting recommendations on a user community would be more informative than Googling. Perhaps you could suggest one?

Login to Me Too

Acquisitions
Contributor
Contributor

@entact 
I've filed a formal complaint with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) - just a couple days ago, so I don't know if they will respond.

I don't believe that PayPal can get away with arbitrarily blocking access to people's accounts just because PayPal didn't think through the verification problems for those who have complied, but lost their phones. For those who have been regularly by-passing the 2nd step with no problem, only to one day find themselves locked out with no warning, it seems like a deliberate step by PayPal to punish people who don't want to allow PayPal access to their phones.

I had a PayPal 'support' person point to a page in the legal documentation that vaguely suggests that we agreed to this because it says that PayPal can deny access if they can't verify identity. Can't see this holding up in court, but "I'm not a lawyer"

Login to Me Too

entact
Contributor
Contributor

Or those who had a landline as a contact number which cannot process one-time passcodes. The situation for me is a time-sapping inconvenience. If they were holding money in my account I would definitely be taking legal steps. Good luck with your challenge, but I suspect they are a law unto themselves and the only way to make them address this is by reputational shaming.

Login to Me Too

Mummy141621
New Community Member

Hi I'm not able to change my number as when I log in it still has my old number it asks to text me or have them call me but it's a old number so I cannot get past this stage what do I do ? 

Login to Me Too

EagleOn
Contributor
Contributor

Good afternoon.

I ask for help in solving the problem:
My account is registered in Romania.
at the moment I am abroad (Moldova)
I can't call the phones offered at the help center.
For a long time (about a year) did not use the services of PayPal. During this time I changed my mobile number.
For unknown reasons, I can't enter my account (I reset/change my password several times)
Of the available services for communication - Viber.

grateful in advance for the advice

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.