Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Hra1
New Community Member
I have a new phone number and I don't have an old one anymore unfortunately to log in wants the verification code on the old phone number
Login to Me Too

Timeless146
New Community Member
How can I log into my PayPal account with my new device. I don’t have access to my phone number. And PayPal wants to send a verification password to my lost phone number.
Login to Me Too

Kaigrant2798
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. I need access to my PayPal account but it requires 2 step verification. Unfortunately the phone number listed is old and I do not have access. Can anyone help me please
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kaigrant2798 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MellowCake
New Community Member
Hi, I recently got a new phone number and I forgot to change it into my account. Currently I can't even log in because its asking for verification via my phone number. And I can't change it to my new one, the old one doesn't exist anymore. So I'm currently stuck. Since I can't contact paypal services since I can't access my own account.. Does someone know what I could do?
Login to Me Too

Kisvonat
New Community Member
Hey there, It has been several years that I have used my paypal. I have set up my 2 step verification with an old company phone number that belongs to someone else now. Paypal only gives me options for a call or sms for this old number and I cannot access any of my account. I could not find a resolution on FAQs. Is there any chance to access my account via email and passw to change the phone number thus my account? Thx!
Login to Me Too

clische
New Community Member

Hello all, 

Unfortunately, I have some issues with my mobile phone company and I do not have access to my phone. Can you please help me to login into my account without mobile phone authorization?

I cannot call PayPal help desk because of the same reason!

Best,

Login to Me Too

Victya88
New Community Member

It was a while ago when I used my Paypal account, however, I try to log in! Ok, it asked for a password reset, I get over that dialog, but after that, it asks PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication - but there is shown my old phone number. So I am stacked in the loop where can not pass over because it asks request code on my old phone number which was years ago! And also I can not change my number because I can not pass this dialog! I hate this struggle!

Login to Me Too

kennygeemercado
Contributor
Contributor
Hello I need help, so I changed my SIM Card to my new one because my old one is worn out, my new SIM CARD is 5G SMART Prepaid while my old one is 4G SMART Prepaid. The problem is when I input my new phone number it doesn't recognize as a phone number and won't let me send a confirmation code.
Login to Me Too

coolvery3
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing this but not just with Paypal, but also with Abra wallet. I think it has something to do with the app's validation of mobile number formats. Also my issue is not yet resolved 😞

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.