Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Czarina1 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

StephanieJacobs
Contributor
Contributor

I can't access my PayPal account because of an old phone number. I can't receive the one time passcode to log in since I don't have my old phone number anymore and if I click the "having troubles logging in?" button it requests to send an sms to the same phone number.

I have no other methods to login besides the phone verification and I can't change the number without logging in. I followed all the steps suggested to sort the issue out but nothing has worked. I got in contact with the UK customer service, this is where I am living now, however the agent said she could not help because the account was created when I was still living in South Africa. I then tried contacting the South African customer service however after all the automated messages I was told that it is not available at this time. I have been trying to sort this out for a few weeks now with no luck.

I find it stupid that it is so difficult to sort out a login issue like this. I understand that PayPal acts as a payment platform and needs to be secure but not even my bank account is this difficult to resolve login issues with.

All I want to do is to close the account but to do that I need to login but to login I need to change my phone number but to change my phone number I need to login. I am getting really frustrated and had to create a new account just to be able to make this post.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@StephanieJacobs 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things. 

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

StephanieJacobs
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Firstly, it would be nice to know before moving country that you should create a new one especially since I was able to change the currency of the account which should not be possible if they expect you to close it when moving.

Secondly, I have tried contacting customer service through the PayPal phones but the South African phones are not available and the UK ones said they can't help me because I created the account in South Africa.

Thirdly, I tried live chat and was told to phone because they couldn't help with my issue and it being randomly available is extremely poor for a company that is supposed to be able to sort out any issues that pop up because of the sensitivity of what they deal with.

Lastly, the Facebook and Twitter places also said they can't help and I must phone them instead, on top of the fact that I don't have social media of any kind which really limits how easy it is for people to actually get help.

All I want is to close the account but I can't do that because of someone's stupid idea to remove all forms of account verification and limiting it to a single phone number on top of how terrible the customer service is. If the customer service was actually decent then I wouldn't be as annoyed or frustrated about the phone issue but I just can't get any help because of how bad it is.

Login to Me Too

dsspoon
Contributor
Contributor

How do I setup a account for my mom who doesn't have a cell phone or cell phone number to give

Login to Me Too

domdomr
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't able to log into my Paypal account. Paypal wanted to send me a security code by TEXT when I don't have a cellphone. I only have a landline phone and so do many others and im extremely surprised Paypal doesn't have an option to send the security code number by land phone to allow me to enter it. Why is that? Its wrong for Paypal to assume everyone has a cellphone in order to receive a text. Can they please include an option to send code number by land phone as well?

Login to Me Too

domdomr
Contributor
Contributor

There are 300 million Paypal customers. Why does Paypal expect all 300 million to have cellphones in order to receive a text? Why don't they have an option to have the code number sent to a phone and be announced by an automated message to be heard by phone? 

Login to Me Too

Joseph30y
Contributor
Contributor

Please whenever I log in  they need to verify using the code that was sent on my phone, but can no longer access my numbers,  I want to change my phone number , how can I do it

Login to Me Too

Hallaein
New Community Member
I can not login since a verification code is required to an phonenumber that is been inactivated. I cant login because of this and therefor I cant change the phonenumber
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hallaein 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Or

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.