Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

consul57
Contributor
Contributor

it does not say that when i called them and also the paypal website says you can have a land line.

so they don't know it seems either!

Login to Me Too

Romeo85
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I have a mobile number but it is not a Portuguese number anymore. Now I’m in my home country Angola. When I try to login I can’t access because the sms validation goes to another number. Please advise.
Login to Me Too

Linarroyo
Contributor
Contributor

Ia Paypal willing to but me a cell phone?

Login to Me Too

bgdode3
Contributor
Contributor

hi, I want to change my mobile phone number, the one you text me on it is not my number.

thank you in advance.

regards

bgdode3

Login to Me Too

DB321
Contributor
Contributor

Search Engine: "paypal alternative"

Login to Me Too

fromthemomma
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a senior on social security, I can't afford a cell phone, smart or otherwise.  Why would you discriminate against people who don't have the money to have a cell phone?  There are other ways you can verify people.  I owe you money and have tried logging into pay you, guess if Paypal doesn't like seniors or poor people you'll get your payment snail mail when you send me the bill.  Of course I don't get paper bills so I guess I'm just **bleep** and will get my credit jacked up because you're discriminating against people without cell phones.  Good job!

Login to Me Too

Nocellphone
Contributor
Contributor

After 11 years of paying off monthly what ever was owed the mastercard , online , every month since ebay made it required ..I was refused access yesterday to the payment site unless I gave them a cell phone number ..Took me two hours on my land line today to finally get an answer that I must have a cell phone now to access the payment site . I then called mastercard ..made a final payment  on the land line and then cancelled the Pay Pal mastercard ..... ebay says ( I spoke to them about cancelling ebay too because of this  ) that there are other ways to pay them which if I feel like it , I will look into .

Login to Me Too

auroraeden
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps we should file complaints to the Federal Trade Commission in the USA (or its equivalent in other countries) about this requirement. Since there are other viable options to authenticate without using a mobile phone, this requirement seems discriminatory. Authenticator apps for desktop and mobile are also available options along with email. To prevent access to our accounts, especially when they are in good standing, also seems punitive. Without access, I can't view transactions, pay my bill online, and other necessary activities. And this lack of access is not because of any violations on my part. Paypal has my social security number, my home address, my email address, my landline phone number, and my salary information, and now it wants even more? What's next? A pint of blood!? This is insane.

Login to Me Too

auroraeden
Contributor
Contributor

So, I've been researching options. None are perfect. However, you can purchase a virtual phone number that handles SMS. Then there's Google voice, which is free, which might solve the problem because you get a virtual phone number that handles SMS. 

Login to Me Too

l_i_d
Contributor
Contributor

You have marked this issue as "solved".  

It is NOT solved.  

Just because you will accept non-smart phones does not solve it.  

Many of us do not have mobile phones at all.  

(Or do not EVER share the numbers with businesses.  Or can't be reached on them because we live in areas with poor reception and therefore cannot use them to receive calls just because you've decided it's time to contact us.)

It's bad enough that you won't let people open new accounts without a mobile phone number.

I have happily and successfully used PayPal for years, with no mobile phone and no problem.  

Suddenly, you won't let me access my own account, without adding a mobile phone number which does not exist.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.