Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

bvesch
New Community Member

Hello,

My paypal account is registerd on a phonenumber that doesn't exist anymore. So I'm not able to logon because I can't enter the code that paypal txt to me.  Is there a way to change the phonenumber without access to your profile? 

Regards,

Berry

Login to Me Too

teew77
Contributor
Contributor
mobile number haschanged
Login to Me Too

Ituen1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I can't add my bank account to my paypal .meanwhile I'm chatting from Africa; Nigeria to be precise Kindly response.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Hello! I can´t login to my paypal-account because I have to verify it´s me by having them send me a code to my phone. The problem is that I have changed my phonenumber, and that is the only option there is to login. Can´t they just send me the code to my registred email instead? I have tried to call custumer support about 16 times already, but the automatic voice says that there are no support-agents available at the moment and then the phonecall ends.

There seem to be no way to contact them about it, so, can somebody help me with this?

Login to Me Too

ellie-claire
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are on your own with this. Except you are not on your own as there are lots of us with this problem. We are all on our own as paypal refuses to help.  

You are right, why can't the code be sent in an email.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Right? And it´s weird that they say that there aren´t many customer support agents available because of the epidemic, but that job could easily be done from home.

Anyway, thanks for the reply

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ellie-claire 

@Anonymous_User 

Would you want all your paypal account details available on a computer in someones home so that when you phone them they can help you with your account????

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Emma365
I have lost my phone and i lost my my number, i need to log into my accoubt butnits sending a verifcation number to my old nunber. How do i change numbers?
Login to Me Too

jjackson0302
New Community Member
How do you get back in your old PayPal account even if you don't have the number no more. My money was sent to that account and now I can't get in it because my old number is connected to it
Login to Me Too

Ituen1
Contributor
Contributor
I can't add my bank account to my paypal. Kindly assist.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.