Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number changed - can't log in

SOLVED
AZ109
Contributor

Re: Don’t have a mobile phone

NO, it will not do.!!!

Paypal is supposed to be a tech. co.   Are you saying that you cannot (or will not) provide any alternative?  My decidedly non-tech terrestrial bank can.

The EU directive states that those without mobiles should not be dis-advantaged,  you have decided to ignore that??

Your answer does not answer my question.   If you deny me access to my account, how do you propose to return my balance to me?

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@AZ109 

How am I denying you anything?   😃

I am giving you the FACTS, if you want me to say oh don't worry about a phone everything will be fine then sure happy to do so.

Won't be the truth or factual but if it makes you happy just say.

I have answered your question, hardly my fault if you did not like the answer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
jimiL
Contributor

I like how this topic is now marked as solved ! When in real life it's no further forward than the original post.

AZ109
Contributor

I don't think you have answered my question at all.  It was "What does Paypal intend to do with my account balance when I cannot the account as I do not have a mobile phone?"

As for your not seeing my not having a mobile phone as a problem, because I can jump when paypal says I should and buy a cheap one for a tenner, here's a proposition for you along the same lines.

I've got a useless lawn-mower in my shed.  Yours for a tenner  --  so get your wallet out right now and send me the money.   I doubt you think that's a good idea, nor is tone of my suggestion.

Oh and by the way, there is nothing in this thread that "Solves" the problem paypal is creating for account holders without mobile phones.  Merely repeating that "Currently paypal uses mobile phones for verification" isn't solving anything, it is ignoring the problem 

jimiL
Contributor

Had a check to see who accepted the "solution"  guess who ?         

"PayPal_Rajesh" a moderator!

Jake103
Contributor

Its a principle, a phone is not a form of identity, its a contact method.

It is prone to being stolen, lost, misused, reassigned, changed and is a victim of no signal.

There are a plethora of other more secure means of verifying identity. I for one use a YubiKey and my laptop also have a fingerprint reader and my surface pro has windows hello. Various companies i use also accept 1 of these forms of 2fa, including banks, skrill, gumtree, payee, governments, stripe. Yet paypal wants only a mobile number.

Jho1
Contributor

The ARROGANCE of the representative of Paypal here to people who DO NOT WANT OR NEED A MOBILE PHONE (including me) is astonishing!! 

John_Hall99
Contributor

"Paypal login wouldn't let me get past the "add mobile number" screen.  So I added my regular phone"

How did you manage that? When I try to enter my regular phone number on that screen, it objects that it's not a mobile number. The annoying thing is that my BT landline automatically converts a text message to voice, so if only Paypal would allow me to enter my landline number (or take it from my profile information, where it already can be found) I'd be fine.

Destiny68
Contributor

That happened to me I  thought oh forget it, and I put in my land line, got a call from BT which cost me money to answer the text message and then I couldn't understand what she was saying. So I hung up and they phoned me again and again. I told Paypal to email or physically write to me, having a mobile phone proves nothing monkeys have mobile phones. Honestly this company has gone to the dogs. They said its EU legislation well wake up I live in England no long part of the EU write another law. Any way my account has now been frozen because I refuse to comply. I wonder if we all leave pay pal how long the company would survive without us!

Jho1
Contributor

I do this VERY rarely, all I want to do is send money to a friend. She lives abroad but says she has a UK Paypal account. I need to know of any alternatives to sending money to her, which I suppose now will mean bank transfer, where there's no techno-fascistic insistence I MUST have a mobile phone to do so?