Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

marybredin
Contributor
Contributor

hi

there was no step 3 - no paypal symbol to click. 

m

Login to Me Too

HelperFixer
Contributor
Contributor

STEP 1: Login as usual to your paypal account until you get to the mobile verification screen.

STEP 2: Scroll down to bottom of screen until you see on the lower left or lower right

where it says in small letters " privacy ". Click on it. A seperate window in your browser should open(mozilla).

STEP 3: Click on the tiny paypal symbol located in the middle upper screen.Another screen will appear.

STEP 4: Just click on "My Paypal" on the upper right of your screen. Have FUN !

Login to Me Too

Welshfarmer
Contributor
Contributor

@HelperFixer 
that is exactly what I have been doing as a work-around. 🙂 

Just worried that that option is due to be removed as PP clamp down on this multi-stage authorisation thingy

Login to Me Too

Destiny68
Contributor
Contributor

At last someone with sense, thank you very much. Until we are forced to that, thats what I will do. I normally go into the url where it says mobile required, I delete that part and hit refresh and then I get into my account remember that one too xxx

Login to Me Too

CalZoo
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have j $#%#$%%&^$# cell phone.  And don't want one.

Paypal login wouldn't let me get past the "add mobile number" screen.  So I added my regular phone, not realizing that paypal was going to send a text message to that phone (hey paypal, I don't ever get text messages -- certainly not on my regular phone).

Now what do I do?  I can't get the authentication code.

Paypal:  if you are going to use authentication, you need to allow an email option.  The Gas Company does it.  The Electric Company does it.  My credit card does it.  My insurance company does it.  You need to do it too.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CalZoo 

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to use PayPal without a mobile phone number attached to your account. This does not need to be a smartphone, a basic mobile will do. Paypal use mobile verification as a means of confirming your identity when you are accessing your account.

Not sure why its an issue to be honest, you can pick up a cheap pay as you go one for about a tenner.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

NO, it will not do.!!!

Paypal is supposed to be a tech. co.   Are you saying that you cannot (or will not) provide any alternative?  My decidedly non-tech terrestrial bank can.

The EU directive states that those without mobiles should not be dis-advantaged,  you have decided to ignore that??

Your answer does not answer my question.   If you deny me access to my account, how do you propose to return my balance to me?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AZ109 

How am I denying you anything?   😃

I am giving you the FACTS, if you want me to say oh don't worry about a phone everything will be fine then sure happy to do so.

Won't be the truth or factual but if it makes you happy just say.

I have answered your question, hardly my fault if you did not like the answer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

I like how this topic is now marked as solved ! When in real life it's no further forward than the original post.

Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think you have answered my question at all.  It was "What does Paypal intend to do with my account balance when I cannot the account as I do not have a mobile phone?"

As for your not seeing my not having a mobile phone as a problem, because I can jump when paypal says I should and buy a cheap one for a tenner, here's a proposition for you along the same lines.

I've got a useless lawn-mower in my shed.  Yours for a tenner  --  so get your wallet out right now and send me the money.   I doubt you think that's a good idea, nor is tone of my suggestion.

Oh and by the way, there is nothing in this thread that "Solves" the problem paypal is creating for account holders without mobile phones.  Merely repeating that "Currently paypal uses mobile phones for verification" isn't solving anything, it is ignoring the problem 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.