Phone Number

blank131
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm having an issue where I removed a old phone number, added a new primary but the old phone number still appears as verification. I don't have access to this number anymore, how can I remove it fully?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blank131 

Did you properly confirm the new number? New number won't take into effect until it is confirmed. You can add a phone number like you would an email address but in order for it to work, it has to be confirmed.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add,-edit-or-remove-a-phone-number-faq947

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blank131 

Did you properly confirm the new number? New number won't take into effect until it is confirmed. You can add a phone number like you would an email address but in order for it to work, it has to be confirmed.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-add,-edit-or-remove-a-phone-number-faq947

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

blank131
Contributor
Contributor
I did, but I'll do it once again to see if problem still occurs ***Edit: issue still stands 😕
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @blank131,

I'm sorry to hear that the old phone number is being used for verification. Please contact customer service for account-specific assistance.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by Facebook or Twitter.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

RogeMoen

Gee thanks. You want me to use the non working phone number to contact Customer service.

Login to Me Too

OW10
Very helpful
Login to Me Too

hacdc
Contributor
Contributor

I did all these things, and I still get prompted to receive texts on two old phone numbers.

I contacted PayPal help via email and chat, and they repeatedly said to do this, even though I told them I already had done it.

The last person said "There is no action that we can take to stop that. Over time, if our system gets used to the new device then it may replace that as an option for the one time security code."

How will the system get "used to the new device" if it's not even an option?  This response makes no sense at all.

Login to Me Too

tompar
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this issue too. I switched my bank after moving back to Finland and obviously I have a new phone number too. I would need to add my new bank account to PayPal but only my previous phone numbers are shown on the bank account linking page. And yes, I've also added and confirmed my new phone number. Funny thing is that I can't remove any of my phone numbers from the system either. So, now I have 3 phone numbers on PayPal, none of them working I guess.

Login to Me Too

RogeMoen

Why would I need to confirm their phone number. If they can't put a working phone number on their own web site they shouldn't put anything.

Login to Me Too

hacdc
Contributor
Contributor

I finally figured this out after about a dozen calls, text chats, and emails to customer service.  The problem stems from the fact that PayPal maintains an internal record of past account phone numbers which is invisible to the account owner and uses those for the two factor authentication.  (The problem is also caused by PayPal erroneously using two factor authentication for business accounts which their own help files say doesn't happen.)  Anyway, after I managed to get luck and reach a customer service worker who knew these things, he was able to remove the old phone numbers from the TFA usage and get it turned off for my account.  Until that happened, I just used the security questions.  Good luck reaching a knowledgeable customer service worker.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.