Paypal setting up Direct Debit on my bank account

Mutley
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning.

I have just, hopefully managed to set up a new bank account with Paypal and am curious about the Direct Debit.

Whilst i can understand that a connection needs to be made between Paypal and my bank account as a funding option (not sure why its a DD though), i am left with this question, which i so far have not been able to find an answer to.

If i pay for a purchase on say the 5th of the month, via Paypal, which is now connected to my bank account, will it recur every month on the 5th of the month, as normal Direct Debits do ?

Obviously i only want to pay for a purchase once.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mutley

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take authorised payments for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without that direct debit.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid to a seller via paypal.

Sometimes it does not coincide with the date you made the payment as paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account, they can 'leave' that account at anytime from a few hours up to a few days later. Also the 'amount' can sometimes not be recognised if you used it as a part-payment with the rest coming from funds already in your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mutley
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. I'm still confused and having a slow day, I can understand the reason behind a direct debit, don't like it, but understand it. I am just concerned that this direct debit will work like a regular direct debit, I know my mortgage comes out on the 1st of the month from now till forever, so it's expected to come out every 1st. My worry is that a payment made to anybody for any amount will repeat each month on the same date of the initial purchase, which is obviously not wanted as its unlikely I would want for example, a bag of hammers every month. Can you confirm that even though its a direct debit (confusing term) it's only for that specific purchase, once only. Thanks again 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mutley

If your electric or phone bill is done via direct debit then does that come out every month OR only quarterly when its due?

Direct debits are scheduled for when a payment is due and with Paypal that payment is ONLY due when you pay a seller.

Then the direct debit shows that amount until the next time you pay a seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.