Paypal is asking for my Social Security Number.

Lanii
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said in the title Paypal is asking for my SSN which I don't really understand why. I'm not a big time Paypal user to need to lift my withdraw limitation since I just used this to buy things that require the transaction to be done by Paypal. I would like to know if anyone else has had this situation, its not letting me use my bank account to shop with instant transfer and If I'm not mistaken my SSN number is not requiered for that.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Envisous
Contributor
Contributor

hey do this so they can keep track of your selling practices.  You don't have to,  but if you do it,  it will help you get your money faster or do instant echecks instead of the whole waiting 7-10 business days to pay a seller.  Also if you hit $20,000 in purchases or sales,  they will report you to the IRS!

Login to Me Too

Isthisciegood
Contributor
Contributor

Me too! i<m very unconfortable with there Questions!

I have contacted my Bank & they say I should never give this away

CIBC deos not agree with paypal's doing

They also told me that paypal should not be allowed to ask for our private bank accounts

When I called paypal they told me there is nothing to do so they transfered me to a supervisor who repeated the same info & then hang up on me.

So much private info ask & such a lack of profesh!!

But yet I really wanted to do business with them

I'm not sure a legal right of privacy paypal are taking

I do understand to security side of it & thats really good but I think they are exagerating

Do You know if there is any good & profesh other cie giving similar services?

Login to Me Too

loveycat
New Community Member

NO WAY am I giving my ss# out and I wrote them back and let them know if they must close my account, so be it! And if anyone google's "paypal asking for ssn" you will see the majority of people on various forums agree!

And their emails before I responded, stating " what's the problem", to me sounded rude! I'd like to pose that question right back to you Pay Pay...WHATS THE PROBLEM, that you now want everyone's private ssn? Crazy!

AND, I have never used pp for much at all to begin with...I've never sold anything...and all my purchases were minor...never a big user and I'm not a SELLER!!!! If it has something to do with tax laws etc...it should not apply to me as a buyer only@!!!!!@!%$^%

Login to Me Too

VivianaZariah
New Community Member

In my case they only asked me for the last four digits- not the whole number.I can see the issue with  this. as long as they dont use it for harm I don't see the problem with it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.