Paypal from Canada doesn't Work in South America?

Nohra21
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I hope I can get some help from this community.

I tried to contact Paypal through the regular 'Help' page, email and calls but I haven' received any guidance or help.

My Paypal is from Canada where I lived for twenty one years and where I had Paypal since 2003. Last year in August I moved back to my homeland, Colombia and since then I haven't been able to update or use properly my account. The system doesn't allow me to update my country, new address or new cellphone and because of that I can't make any business either. I am not really sure which is the real problem, what I know for sure is that I can't use Paypal to do businesses in Colombia. I tried to have a Colombian Paypal but as I don't have a Colombian credit card (they wouldn't give me one because I don't have a credit record here), I cannot open a Colombian Paypal and the system doesn't allow me to use my Canadian visa. 

So, do I have to give up my Canadian Paypal account and forget it? Too sad that this company can't make this issue easier 😞 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nohra21 

Nope. PayPal accounts are country specific and are like bank accounts...you close it out and take your money with you when you move to an entirely new country. Therefore, you'll need to open a new PayPal account in your new country of residence; Colombia to be able to enter Columbian account info (ie shipping address, financial information). In Columbia, you can send/receive funds but can only withdraw to US bank account with their PayPal accounts.

If you can't get a credit card, get a prepaid reloadable debit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nohra21 

Nope. PayPal accounts are country specific and are like bank accounts...you close it out and take your money with you when you move to an entirely new country. Therefore, you'll need to open a new PayPal account in your new country of residence; Colombia to be able to enter Columbian account info (ie shipping address, financial information). In Columbia, you can send/receive funds but can only withdraw to US bank account with their PayPal accounts.

If you can't get a credit card, get a prepaid reloadable debit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nohra21
Contributor
Contributor

Muchas Gracias! You answered my question and I am very happy with it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.