Paypal asking for ID which I don't have.

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys!

I am having an issue that is seriously about to make me never use paypal again. I have been asked to prove my address with paypal and I am having a huge issue. I have been asked for Government ID and a Utility bill. I have sent in a Utility Bill but I live with my parents so it is under my mothers name. They won't accept the Utility bill and are asking for Government ID. Government ID is giving me the option of either sending them my Passport (Which I do not have as I have never left the country) and/or my Drivers Licence (Which I also do not have because I do not drive). I becoming quite irritated as I have emailed them and all I got back is, "Please send us your Passport or Drivers Licence for Government ID". Please tell me what to do.

Regards, Jordan.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Carljohn81 

Paypal holds your funds for 180 days as that is the same timeframe that buyers have to open paypal disputes.
So if no disputes are opened against you in 180 days then you are allowed to withdraw the funds.

That is as long as your paypal account is in your legal name and you are over 18 when you reach 180 days.

Then you should get an email from paypal telling you that you can withdraw your funds.

If you don't then give customer services a call and request the option to withdraw to your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Either send what they require or not use your paypal account is the only answer anyone can give you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

So you are saying I am not going to be able to use paypal. This is appalling that Paypal can't accept that not every one can meet their EXACT standards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you open a bank account you have to provide the same sort of identifying information if you don't then you can't open a bank account.

The same with credit cards and paypal.

Its called security and personally i agree with them as you don't let someone open a paypal account without checking them first and if you can't provide information that they require then they can't identify you sufficiently.

Why don't you ring them and see if they will accept a citizen card or similar that you could get hold of, although i don't know if that is an acceptable form of i.d. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

Will they accept ID from a parent or something because I have not got any sort of ID.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I doubt it as it has to be in your own name.

Can't you apply for a passport?? Always useful to have and you are bound to go abroad at some stage of your life. I applied for mine as soon as i hit 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

Well, is there anything else I can do? Like what could I possibly do to fix this without too much trouble? Can someone from paypal please contact me and walk me through this? All I get when I email paypal support is the same message I assume is from a bot.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This is a user to user help forum, even if a moderator is about on Monday they will only be able to advise you to contact them via customer services.

Have you tried this >>>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option (if there is one in the country you are in) > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

OR have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.

It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hexequiop42
New Community Member

Basicly Jordan you have no choice other than to quit using paypal, Like I'm about to...

I have been using PP for years making purchases via CC then last year I sold something on eBay, made just short of $500.

When I made my next eBay purchase I wanted to use the funds to pay for it but PP locked my account claiming there was a problem with my CC, even though I was trying to use funds from a sale.

I checked with my CC provider and they said there was nothing wrong with the card, I even used it to buy someting off Amazon so went through the PP resolution centre, but just kept getting told there was a problem with my CC so I could not make a purchase, even with funds in my account.

So I tried calling them and just kept getting the same reply that there was a problem with my CC and I had to sort it out with them, when I fianlly got through to make a formal complaint I was told that there was actually no problem with my CC after all and the lock out was due to an error in their system but they could not unlock my account untill I provided them with a scan of my Passport and other sensitive personal documents.

Given the fact I had just been told the lock out was due to a mistake they made I was hardly willing to send them the documents they wanted so refused.

Since then I have been told that untill I do waht they say because they say so I can't have access to my own money! 

I decide that the time and stress was not worth the money and so it is still sitting there in PPs bank account, I can't even instruct them to give it to a charity.

untill today I have just been paying for stuff through PP as a guest using my Credit Card but even that option has now been taken away.

Login to Me Too

JordanNS
Contributor
Contributor

I guess that's so. Paypal's service is quite appalling. Anyway I believe that paypal is no longer going  to be any use to me (Thanks to their "helpful" support). I am this close to being done with Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.