Paypal - Unable to update my alias / nickname and restricted my account

Stife
New Community Member

All,

I've opened my PayPal account back on 2005 with my nickname and my formal last name.
Multiple document (drive ID, bank statement and even pay stub) was submitted to PayPal to have it updated to my formal first name.

Upon calling the customer service center today, they immediately placed multiple restriction and not allow me to make any changes nor closing my account.  They customer service rep and the manager even told me to open a new account with a new email.

However, I will not able to use any of my existing phone number, bank account and credit numbers on my existing account.

She even TOLD me to open a NEW bank account (pretty absurd?)

I kindly asked the manager to unlock my account, so I could remove my phone number / credit cards and bank account and move them to the new account. However, she said there is nothing they can do.

The account will remain in a limbo state. 

Is there any community members that are going thru this hellish experience before?

She's very rude, and provided no help at all.
For an account I created 15 years ago under my nickname, and PayPal even give us the option to update the nickname.

Why even have that option on website? If we're not allow to change it even proper documents were submitted.

Anyone know who or where I could reach out to get help?

Regards,

Swee

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stife 

Sadly if you created a legal, financial account with a nickname then it would not matter how many documents you provided as none of them would prove that the nickname was your legal name on those documents.

You can only do a name change for a very minor typo or for legal reasons ie marriage.

If you opened a bank account with a fake name (even if you were able to do so) then would you expect your bank to allow you to continue using it?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.