PayPal wants me to confirm identity, but I don't have a SSN or Tax ID

eXtremeAzure
Contributor
Contributor

I've had my PayPal account for almost a year. Now, the system wants me to verify my ID after I recently linked my checking account (Wells Fargo). The problem is, I do not have a Social Security Number or a Tax ID since I am not a US citizen. Is there another way I can verify my ID? I have a passport and a driving permit, both of which are photo IDs.

Not being able to keep money in my PayPal balance could prove troublesome, hence why I want this resolved.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eXtremeAzure

You must submit the specific document/information as requested by PayPal. If you do not have a SSN or ITIN (in your case, an ITIN), you can apply for one: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number

Here is a list of the document options you can send us to help confirm your identity:

Proof of Identity:

• Driver’s license
  • Passport or Passport Card    
  • State or Government issued ID

Proof of Address:

• Utility Bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Credit Card Statement
Proof of SSN:
  • Social Security Card or ITIN Assignment Letter
  • Employer Issued W2 or Paystub

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

eXtremeAzure
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info, but I can't apply for one either. I do not live in the United States, I simply have an address and an account there. I reside in the Bahamas (that's why I said I'm not a U.S. citizen). I can provide my passport, learner's permit and national health insurance card, though. 

Login to Me Too

FatutoUzutz
Contributor
Contributor

Please help PayPal. I don’t have any ssn or tax Id

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.