PayPal is showing the wrong shipping address....somehwhere in their system and NOT on my Profile!

JAJ77
New Community Member

I feel like NO ONE is reading the complaint I submitted!!!   This is NOT a billing issue it is a SHIPPING ISSUE. Paypal provided an address that is TWO YEARS OLD, causing the package to be delivered to TEXAS and NOT my address in Wisconsin. My paypal address IS Correct on my Profile! No one in the customer service area can explain where this old address came from...it cost $341 to re-route the shipment (we originally already paid $240 for the shipment and it went to Texas)- Can Anyone explain to me WHY the OLD address was given to the Seller and WHY?????  As recent as yesterday the seller logged in and it was still showing the address in TEXAS - where is that coming from and WHY????  My profile address is correct and has been for two years!

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

iand2303
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem.

In my case what happened was that I purchased an item from Home Depot with pick up in a local store. This stores address then got associated with my account as a "gift address" in the PayPal system and then an item I ordered from another vendor was delivered to the Home Depot's store address. In my view there is a problem with the PayPal system, as a shipping address that is used for this purpose should only be valid for a single transaction and should be purged from the PayPal system once the transaction is complete. The fact that you can not view or remove these "gift messages" from your account without contacting PayPal support indicates that these are system generated addresses.

PayPal are using the fact that you can verify the address before completing the transaction as an excuse to deny any responsibility for this issue. The problem is that one of the biggest benefits of using PayPal is that you do not have to enter the shipping information with the vendor. If I have to verify the shipping information and correct it if PayPal have provided a "gift address" then why use PayPal at all?

I'm over a $100 our of pocket and I do not have the merchandise I ordered.  

Login to Me Too

Furious10
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I signed up with PayPal to make check-out easier but I am rethinking this decision. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @AmyHette

I can understand why this would cause frustration if a package is sent to an old address. 

There are two reasons that this can happen. Some websites you operate on will save previous information you use and use it for future transactions. eBay is a party that will use shipping addresses as default in the future. If this purchase was on a marketplace like this, reach out to the company to make sure they aren't storing any address. 

Also, our system will also store what we call gift/hidden addresses. These are addresses that you have used to ship items to in the past but you haven't added them to your account. We'd be able to delete this information for you but you would want to reach out to our customer service team. You can do this by using the 'Contact' section at the bottom of our PayPal webpage. 

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

Dallen2525

Drew, Your PayPal customer service reps deny there is a problem and do NOT attempt to remove old or incorrect email addresses.

This is unacceptable and the resolutions people recommend do NOT work.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220813co
Contributor
Contributor

This is still a problem. Found out the hard way.  There is no acceptable reason that this should still happen or that PP users cannot access all of their pertinent account information for verification or modification.

Login to Me Too

Stef9119
Contributor
Contributor

Frustration? No, I am being robbed of item's I payed for by your system! After I deleted all old addresses you sent a $350 purchase to JoAnn Fabric's! If this is not fixed I will switch to a competitor and delete my account! Having to look back over every purchase and humiliatingly contact the seller to tell them what's gone wrong is beyond ridiculous and completely unacceptable! 

Login to Me Too

Marine57
Contributor
Contributor

This is not something as simple as one specific website caching your ship to history.  I was trying to complete a purchase from GameStop on my phone.  I purchased from them earlier this year and had it shipped to my primary address.  This time I was trying to send to another address and I got a list of addresses that I haven't been associated with for many years.  I definitely did not have purchases from GameStop send to any of the addresses.  At least one of the addresses was incomplete.  Another thing I noticed is a new address I added to PayPal directly through the app was not available as an option.  So somewhere out there, someone is sharing these ship to addresses.  Maybe it's shared meta data or access to address histories through API's.  It's concerning when you search this issue that this is something which has been going on for years.  If PayPal were a free service it's one thing to have to put up with this.  But there are those of us who use PayPal and need to pay fees.  Whether you call it being cheap, lazy code writing, lack of caring, whatever, PayPal has no excuse for not fixing this.  This is a core function of what PayPal does for merchants and consumers.  Very sad.

Login to Me Too

Stef9119
Contributor
Contributor

It's been happening thought the entire month of March! At least 4 or 5 Poshmark payments were sent to the wrong address before I caught it and after I deleted my old Dorm Room address, even though it was NOT the primary address on my account, my most recent $350 purchase was sent to my local "Joann Fabric" store...and my name was auto filled in an "JoAnn Store". Thank Heaven the system registered it as an invalid address and let me update the shipping address after the fact, but the billing and name are still wrong so fingers crossed it won't be cancelled! Have almost had enough of this! If the email I sent to: 

www.paypal.com/bt/smarthelp/contact-us?email=privacy

about removing these addresses from that stupid hidden book says anything less than "they've been deleted"...or even better that the option has been permanently disabled, though I'm not hoping for miracles, then I may just be changing to Apple Pay finally because it's so dumb that I suddenly have to look back at every purchase and worry that it wasn't sent to my Primary email address...like they all should be going to! 

Login to Me Too

pneuman906
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too. It is absolutely disgusting that this company takes no responsibility for its shoddy technology and its utter lack of customer service. Your trick with the hidden addresses robs people of the items they purchase and leaves them with no recourse. I will avoid PayPal at all costs. Why kind of company is this?

Login to Me Too

peteryehbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue. My profile is up to date and has been for a few months, and my old address was REMOVED. Yet, when I make a purchase, this old address shows up in my email receipts. I read some of this thread and see I am supposed to contact PayPal and ask them to "remove hidden gift addresses" (I am skeptical it was a "gift" address, but in any case, I just want to get in contact with someone). All my efforts to talk to a real person (the chat is an automated bot who is less than useless, and there is NO email or phone I can see anywhere) have been in vain.

Is there a PERSON out there that can get in touch with me and fix this? It is a PayPal system error, not my error (at least I assume). I have verified in my profile and in my wallet all addresses are current.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.