cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Hello everyone, this information might be helpful to you.

After being locked out of my PayPal account for a week or so, I finally managed to log into my account!

I had the problem of the old unused phone number which I couldn't activate and therefore I was unable to receive the code via SMS.

After reviewing many options, I took me days to find an older email (from October 9th) in my inbox from PayPal.

The email is at the end of this message in quotes.

After clicking on the link to go to "Policy Updates Page" I reviewed the entire page and then clicked on a link that said "Decline and close my account" and after that I was able to change my phone number and I was logged in!

Really glad that worked for me! Maybe it will work for you too.

This is all I know, good luck!

The email:

Hi Karolina,

We’re making some changes to our legal agreements that will apply to you.

There is no action needed from you today, but if you would like to learn more, you can find details about these changes, when they apply and what you can do if you want to decline the changes on our Policy Updates page. You can also view these changes by visiting paypal.com, clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page and then selecting ‘Policy Updates’.

If you have questions about any of these changes or your account, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Highlighted

Is there anyone from PayPal that can help users to access their accounts due to incorrectly stored contact numbers? Does anyone have a contact email for PayPal?

Highlighted
Contributor

Been having the same issue with an old mobile number attached to my account and no response from customer services. 

I have now managed to access my account and change my number and have been able to authenticate my new number.

I reset my password (I'm based in the UK, so not sure if it will work in other parts of the world) and this allowed my to login to my account and then I could change my mobile number, I then logged out and when I went to login, I had to authenticate my new number before accessing my account.

Hope this helps others who cannot access their accounts when they have changed their mobile number.

Highlighted
Contributor

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and even help center told me to close my account, which kinda impossible for me to do that unless I'm login in. also I have a bank linked to my account so I can't use the bank again for another account there's a limit to that! please help me know how you pass this and changed your phone. thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yesterday I changed my password and it took me back to the log in PSD2 page with my old defunkt mobile number, after checking on here again today, I decided to try it again and change my password and it worked after clearing my cache and cookies, i was able to edit the phone number albeit saying 'Mobile' and i have enetered in my landline.. I'm hoping this works.

Paypal: My mobile phone contract came to an end and due to fighting Cancer, I have decided it isn't worth having another, besides, i live in the country with fairly poor coverage, I do sincerely hope you are not going to penalise people for not having a mobile phone and also because they are sick or disabled..

Highlighted

Really can't thank you enough for this!

Highlighted
Contributor

I did it!! It didn't work for me as you described!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi, I want to know what can I do to be able to login to my account, as it keeps coming up my old landline phone number. And I can't change it as I can't login.
Highlighted
Contributor

Hello, same problem, yesterday 23.10 I contacted the live chat and send email form separately . They asked me for the new phone number, but handed it over to management. I can't say when there will be a result or not.

Highlighted
Contributor

So, are you gonna let me log in then? I have a business account with a debit card.

I've just changed the phone number today and you locked me out. Are you that stupid? How comes I don't have any other option to confirm identity.

Also, there's no mobile reception at my work anyway. Bunch of clowns.