cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Further to my [revious post, I have looked on the Financial Conduct Authority website. Their guidance says quite clearly thatpeople who do not use a mobile phone should not be disadvantaged, and that alternatives should be offered. 

I have never received any response form PayPal to my original post. I wonder why.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PayPal & PSD2 - there is no such thing in my country but...

There is absolutely no issue or complaints regarding my newly opened account but it was suddenly and unjustly put into "limited" status without informing me why.  I am guessing that this might have been done by an irate PayPal Customer Service Agent (maybe Emmanuel-he was the last person I talked to) just because he decided that he no longer wanted to provide the customer support regarding my previous account which was closed by PayPal despite still having money in it.  It was only $13.  Putting my new, fresh and clean PayPal account on hold is terribly unjust.  Its literally power-play just because Customer Service Agents know our limitations.    Now I am imposed to attach several information about me which could compromise my privacy.  In fact how can I trust PayPal to handle private information properly when their Customer Service Agents do things like this in a snap of a finger?

Highlighted

Why is New Zealand not on there?

Highlighted

Why is the already existing 2 factor authentication mechanism not good enough and instead paypal tries to enforce mobile numbers and the much less secure sms transaction? Dear PayPal, as a person who constantly travels countries and as such constantly have to switch phone numbers this SMS authentificafion nonsense is simply not possible and feasible. You do have a working 2 factor auth which, by everything i can read about the SCA is perfectly suitable and sufficient. My own bank does use such measures and does not enforce sms tans. Please revise the further limitation of your service by narrowing down on the actual ways to 2 factor authenticate. If paypal finds itself unable to approach this topic, in my case i will just stop using paypal alltogether. And this is simply not debatable, I will not settle for a less secure and much more limiting method than i currently already use.
Highlighted
Contributor

I have always felt safe using PayPal and indeed for some organisations I deal with it is the only form of payment they accept.

I have worked with computers for much of my life and am very computer savvy but I do not use a smartphone and don't want one.  (If PayPal care to buy me one and pay the monthly account I might think differently.)  I do have a cellphone but very rarely switch it on and then only if I need to make a call. 

What's wrong with PayPal emailing me the code as they have once or twice in the past?  I'd even be happy to set up a new exclusive email address and use it via a VPN just for that purpose. 

I'm fairly elderly but not disabled but I do think the other contributors who have mentioned their disability problems have a genuine point.

Come on PayPal, not everyone has or is able to use a smartphone, nor is a signal available in many places.

I don't want to lose my PayPal account but it is looking as if PayPal will force me to do so!

Highlighted

Nice reply but it fails to answer the question. I retired. I no longer have a work phone. I have 3 other nunbers listed, two of which are primary. How do I delete the old work number? I tried adding my home number a second time as work, but you system wouldn't allow it. Frustrating for me and if you do need to contact me, frustrating for you. There is no delete as described in the online docs.