cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Highlighted

PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Contributor

PSD2 Disability Discrimination by Paypal?

Am housebound disabled in an area with NO mobile phone coverage & DO NOT OWN a mobile phone.

Due to PSD2 regulations do I have to close my Paypal account?

Is this Disability discrimination?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: PSD2 Disability Discrimination by Paypal?

I am not disabled thankfully, I too can't get a mobile signal so don't have a mobile and only use a landline

I have been forced to give my daughterd mobile number (she lives 200 miles away) I got a stupid e mail from paypal to say they had removed my land line number, the same one they have contacted me on many times and replaced it with my daughters mobile number. Can someone please explain the sense in this.  The UK has left the EU dictatorship, we should no longer be subjected to their dictatorial rules. I am currently looking for other ways to pay and ***** paypal  

Highlighted
New Community Member

Re: PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

I don't see the United States (US) in the list of countries that should be concerned. However, I received an email today with no real info about PSD2 in the actual, with links to make sure I have an updated mobile phone # on file. I live in the US, and haven't used PayPal for transactions outside the US for several years. I would understand getting the email if I did have recent transactions with those located within Europe, but all my recent transactions have been with those within the US, or companies within the US. I didn't click on any of the links, being they were asking for personal information, and I will be reporting the email as spoof/phishing. Just wanting to give a head's up.
Highlighted

Re: PayPal & PSD2 - What is PSD2 Strong Customer Authentication?

Hi @d_train2002,

Thank you for your post and thank you for being cautious! If the links in the email were asking you to provide personal information, opting not to provide the info through a link or by email is a safe option for protecting yourself!

If you visit your account by opening a fresh browser window and typing in PayPal.com and there's a prompt to update information, updating it through your account in that way will be the best way to make sure that the information is actually going to PayPal and not to a fraudster.

Thank you for letting us know by forwarding the email to spoof@paypal.com!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Highlighted
New Community Member

using code via SMS TO LOG IN

Appreciate improving security but when 2G, 3G, 4G & 5G are NOT available how can PAYPAL access and transactions be completed.
Highlighted

Re: using code via SMS TO LOG IN

Hi @GeorgeD1,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience. The ability to receive the SMS would be needed to log in.

Olivia

Highlighted

I can't receive the code because it appears that I've put in the wrong number when I signed up. I've never received any phone verification text obviously, so I haven't confirmed the number at any point. Now I'm locked out of my account. How do I correct that or is there a way to just provide the right number via email or at least access my account without the code?

Highlighted

Hi @Euromiz,

I'm sorry to hear that the phone number on your PayPal account is not valid. To correct that issue, please contact customer service.

To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter.

If you opt for calling by phone, you can select to call as a guest rather than log in. Sending a message via the webform would not be available without login.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

Highlighted

I've read into the rules about the EU law that requires 2-step verification and there's stated there that I'm supposed to be able to access my account from the usual device without the code. I'm using the same device and browser as before and it still gives me the sms code prompt. Will that become available after a while? I understand that this is a safety measure but at this point I'm locked out of my own account with over 500€ balance.