Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

Alcleo87
New Community Member
Hi everyone! New EU regulations means a new layer of security. I am getting prompted to accept a call before I can log in and my phone number is not up to date so am not able to proceed. I can’t contact PayPal directly without logging in. Can anyone help?
Login to Me Too

Nikkym
Contributor
Contributor

Have you had any luck getting this sorted? I tried calling but it was useless!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nikkym 

@Alcleo87 

Try downloading the app and changing the phone number via settings / using the forgotten password option / trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then you can go and change the number.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

face8

Hi, 

I also need to change my phone number. I emailed support and got a reply. But have to login to read the reply.

Tried facebook, but no support were available. Is there a way to contact support through email without to have to login to read their reply?

Login to Me Too

OLM20
Contributor
Contributor

Ok finally managed to resolve this after weeks of frustration!

Following previous comments on this thread here's what I did to regain access to my account and change my mobile number (was previously a Skype number):

1) Used a different browser to the one I normally use - in this case I used Internet Explorer

2) Went to the log in page and entered my email address then hit the "Having trouble logging in"

3) Selected it to send me the code to reset my password to my email address

4) Entered the code and changed the password

5) Went to log in

The first time I did the above I was then sent back to the authentication page and nothing changed

So I repeated the steps above again but when the pop up about PayPal cookies appeared at the bottom of the screen I this time hit OK

The second time - after hitting the OK to cookies and changing the password I was then redirected to another page.

I could then hit the profile settings link from the top menu icon and then change the mobile number and hey presto finally gained access again!

Not sure if you have to do it a couple of times for it to work or whether hitting the OK to cookies made the difference but it certainly worked for me - thankfully!

Hope that the above helps someone

Login to Me Too

bittyboy101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting this OLM20. That definitely helps and is a good workaround.

It is really silly that PayPal should send a reply to your PayPal inbox (which requires logging in to PayPal to gain access to PayPal's email), PayPal  should send their reply directly to the USER'S EMAIL ADDRESS that's on file with PayPal as that would be much more appropriate.   

Login to Me Too

lost2020
Contributor
Contributor

OLM useless advice, after step 3 I am alwas back to the authentication page. Switched from Firefox to Edge to IE, same.

Login to Me Too

OLM20
Contributor
Contributor

Lost2020 - it's not the advice that is useless.

For us we gained access within 10 minutes after two weeks of frustration and getting nowhere and it's worked for others in the same situation.

Sorry it didn't work for you - if I thought it wasn't worth posting then I wouldn't have wasted my time writing it all out.

Login to Me Too

Deanmoncaster
Contributor
Contributor

olm20 - you just posted what i wrote but with better steps.

one thing to preface this with, YOU CANNOT DO THIS ON A MOBILE DEVICE.

for some reason paypal will only let you authorise yourself on a mobile using a mobile device, if you do this fix on a desktop / laptop you can authenticate yourself by other means.

So stupid paypal, so stupid.

i am no longer using you after taking an unneccessary 9 quid for an inactive account fee.

you have lost my business.

Login to Me Too

officialsie
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to break through the authentication. 

What I did was follow the steps of trying to log in, and clicking the "forgot password" link. After that I changed it and the same thing happened again; it asked me for a code to be sent to my old number. After trying to change my password again 6 times, it eventually stopped me from requesting a new password by asking for phone authentication again (yes, it asked me for phone authentication to change my password). 

Then I changed browers from Chrome to Edge and tried to log in, changed password and once I put in the new password, I was able to log into the account. 

This had to be done via a desktop. I couldn't do this with my phone. 

Good luck to all those who have 1000s of pounds behind this authentication wall. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.