Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

CFTRS
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I will stop using Paypal!

Login to Me Too

takis33
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, same problem here!

Anyone knows: if I never use paypal again, will I be charged with fees with the result of having negative balance?
Meaning owing money all of a sudden??

I appreciate any answer.

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too

Eleanor1977
Contributor
Contributor
Same here. I'm unable to check my account because I didn't know about this and we changed Tel service provider who gave us another number
Login to Me Too

KSharqi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olivia,

Is there a way I can provide a new phone number to which the code would be sent so I can log into my PayPal account?

Best regards,

Karolina

Login to Me Too

Lord_Tiburon

I'm in something of a bind like the others in this thread as my paypal account had only a single old landline which when rung, and the keycode was entered it didn't register. So now I get the 'do not recognize you' every time I try to log in, effectively locking me out from an account I've had for over ten years and making it impossible to send or receive payments for anything 

Is there any way to add a new phone number to the existing account?

Login to Me Too

VFVALENT

Hello, I can not log in to Paypal.

I know my mail, my password but I've got the PSD2 authentication message through phone, the phone number is old and I can not change it as I can not log in. How can I log in and replace my old phone number?

Regards,

V.

Login to Me Too

BlueKangaroo
Contributor
Contributor

Same, there must be 1000's of people with old numbers on their PP accounts, can't log in to change it, you'd think PP would have maybe anticipated this problem and ask a security question to access the account to update the phone number...

Login to Me Too

KSharqi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, this information might be helpful to you.

After being locked out of my PayPal account for a week or so, I finally managed to log into my account!

I had the problem of the old unused phone number which I couldn't activate and therefore I was unable to receive the code via SMS.

After reviewing many options, I took me days to find an older email (from October 9th) in my inbox from PayPal.

The email is at the end of this message in quotes.

After clicking on the link to go to "Policy Updates Page" I reviewed the entire page and then clicked on a link that said "Decline and close my account" and after that I was able to change my phone number and I was logged in!

Really glad that worked for me! Maybe it will work for you too.

This is all I know, good luck!

The email:

Hi Karolina,

We’re making some changes to our legal agreements that will apply to you.

There is no action needed from you today, but if you would like to learn more, you can find details about these changes, when they apply and what you can do if you want to decline the changes on our Policy Updates page. You can also view these changes by visiting paypal.com, clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page and then selecting ‘Policy Updates’.

If you have questions about any of these changes or your account, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Login to Me Too

Willbar

Is there anyone from PayPal that can help users to access their accounts due to incorrectly stored contact numbers? Does anyone have a contact email for PayPal?

Login to Me Too

Tallulah4
Contributor
Contributor

Been having the same issue with an old mobile number attached to my account and no response from customer services. 

I have now managed to access my account and change my number and have been able to authenticate my new number.

I reset my password (I'm based in the UK, so not sure if it will work in other parts of the world) and this allowed my to login to my account and then I could change my mobile number, I then logged out and when I went to login, I had to authenticate my new number before accessing my account.

Hope this helps others who cannot access their accounts when they have changed their mobile number.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.