Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

MikePL
Contributor
Contributor

One of users in this long thread described workaround solution of the inactive/wrong phone number and IT WORKS!

All You need to is:
- know your e-mail login and password

- know the answers to both security questions
- have new active phone number

Then you need to process "change your forgotten password" procedure (retype code from email, answer security questions) and try to log in with new password. Repeat it a number of times and finally you will be logged in without second step PSD2 sms verification!

For me it worked after just three password changes and login attempts. Then first thing to do after login is to change your primary phone 🙂

Login to Me Too

Jlbon
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I will try this, you are so much more helpful the customer service support...,,🍻👍👍🤜🤛👌👏🙌 And more....
Login to Me Too

Jlbon
Contributor
Contributor
Can not pass the PSD2 requirement... It's locked on my old number, an PayPal has no way currently to fix this, what a silly oversight..yes have security by all means, but have an option to recover using other means of identification in a problem or fraudulent activity, it's like a bank not letting you use you own money because they charged your pin without telling you.. ombudsman is coming!!!!
Login to Me Too

thooorn23
Contributor
Contributor

@Jlbon me too and it's frustrating 😕 @kernowlass or @sharpiemarker can you help us?? Is there any a real PayPal assistant? 

Login to Me Too

Eei2
Contributor
Contributor
I spoke to someone on their Facebook page and they couldn’t help. They told me to go to the help section, choose the login problems and start a chat without logging in (from the desktop browser only). I did it, but the customer support was helpless. They reset my password and that’s all. I could do it myself. I still can’t log in because need the old number. In the meantime, used my private PayPal account for sales, but the **bleep** held the money for a week. Today I withdrew the money to my account - only to get the message that it will take 72 hours “for security reasons”. Absolute thieves
Login to Me Too

c1a
Contributor
Contributor
Everyone at paypal from top to bottom are complete imbeciles regarding this login problem.
Login to Me Too

c1a
Contributor
Contributor
It's not solved at all. That work around only works for small minority and mostly many will still get the *sorry we cannot confirm it is you* error thus continuing the paypal error login loop.
Login to Me Too

Eei2
Contributor
Contributor
Nonsense. This isn’t the solution to the problem in question, just to a forgotten password.
Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

HOW true is this?

DAMNED annoying and cannot be totally legal - can it??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.